Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G3 Tower, i3, 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello There

Product Name -

HP ProDesk 400 G3 Tower, i3, 4GB, 500

I purchased the above computer a few days ago and decided to set it up.

Unfortunately an internet connection was not available so I proceeded without it

It took a very suprisingly short time to set up and at no time was i ASKED FOR A PRODUCT kEY.

N.B I could not find the product key anywhere on the computer.

After setup I found that the destop was completely empty except for the Recycle bin which was very surprising- I expected to seem some of your included software.

More important - I discovered that Windows 10 Pro was not activated.

In Control Panel ---->  SYSTEM  my product key was listed as XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-V6DGP

Please advise me on how I should proceed

Regards

EFlynn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@EFLYNN wrote:

..  After setup I found that the destop was completely empty except for the Recycle bin which was very surprising- I expected to seem some of your included software.

In Control Panel ---->  SYSTEM  my product key was listed as XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-V6DGP

Hi,

Welcome to HP Support Forum. There are 2 things from your question:

1. Desktop icons. Windows 10 hides all software and you can put them on your desktop. Please hit Win key and you can see them all, you can right click and "Pin to Desktop".

2. Windows: I setup my machine this morming and I've got

elite.png

The key is in the BIOS of your machine, please use the following tool to get it:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

When run this tool, it produces a report, scroll down to Software Management section. Windows 8, 8.1 or 10  product key is in there.

You can also use the following tool to find out:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@EFLYNN wrote:

..  After setup I found that the destop was completely empty except for the Recycle bin which was very surprising- I expected to seem some of your included software.

Hi,

Welcome to HP Support Forum. There are 2 things from your question:

1. Desktop icons. Windows 10 hides all software and you can put them on your desktop. Please hit Win key and you can see them all, you can right click and "Pin to Desktop".

2. Windows: I setup my machine this morming and I've got

elite.png

The key is in the BIOS of your machine, please use the following tool to get it:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

When run this tool, it produces a report, scroll down to Software Management section. Windows 8, 8.1 or 10  product key is in there.

You can also use the following tool to find out:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

> Please advise me on how I should proceed.

Directly contact HP Support -- each brand-new HP computer comes with a warranty -- and get FREE help from them.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.