Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all.  It's been a few weeks since I posted my rant but I was able to get my computer to work..finally.  In a nutshell, I reinstalled windows 10 from a boot disc.  I downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft from another computer and and created a USB bootable disk ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 )  I had to go into my computer and pop the motherboard battery to get to my bios using F8? F9? during restart - don't recall exactly but eventually I was able to adjust my boot sequence and boot to the USB drive.  I tried repairing and restornig (like 5 times each) before I finally bit the bullet and re-installed.  I was concerned about losing my files but ultimately the re-installation worked and it created a folder that had ALL of my old files and drivers, as a matter of fact, the folder was named 'Window_old'.  The whole ordeal took a couple of days (installing programs, games, updating driver, yadda, yadda, yadda) but I am now back on line doing what I love most...playing Arma III!  I hope this information helps!  Even if I get one person back online I think I've done my part.  : - )

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear you had success.....after try try try try try again. 

I've noticed that with many recovery operations it seems like it takes multiple attempts before the process actually completes correctly, if it does at all.  It is important to try the recovery at least several times before you decide to give up. 

Also important is that when you are using recovery disks or the bootable USB, make sure you ONLY have 

the video monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to the PC before attemping to recover your system. 

If you have anything else connected to your PC, ESPECIALLY the modem or wireless gateway enabled you WILL have errors and the recovery will NOT work.

In the instructions included with HP recovery disks/usb they didn't make it clear about this fact with their wording. 

HP Recommended
Question, do you have wireless keyboard. I can't get mine to even go to bios. My wireless doesn't turn on so can't do a dang on thing
HP Recommended

Negative.  I have a corded mouse and keyboard.  I was tired of crashing my chopper while in mid-flight due to the batteries crapping out!  lol

HP Recommended
Mine doesn't have a port for them
HP Recommended

Fix!!!  (I think.  Time will tell.)

I had the same issues as the original post, but with the HP1414.

Running windows 10.

Blue screen with the sad face and the WDF_VIOLATION error.

The screen said it would restart, but never did.

After several re-booting attempts (At least a dozen times) by forcing a shutdown by holding down the power button, only got the black screen.  No longer got the HP blue screen, no longer the sad screen.

Not sure what did it, but I did the following immediately after the black screen.

Removed the two wireless USB’s for the mouse & keyboard. 

Removed the Ethernet cable.

Forced the re-boot again.  Still nothing.

Reinstalled the USB’s and Ethernet cable.

Then removed the power cord, waited ~15 seconds after the green light went out.

Powered back up.

Held down the ESC key.

It went thru 2-3 HP blue screens.

Then to my surprise, it booted up!!!

(I suspect removing the power cord was the fix.)

I’m running a backup as I type to an external HD now.

I might try to get window updates, but a little scared.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Yes, where are the experts?

So, I upgraded to Win 10 on my HP PC. Avoided many issues by doing a few preventative things.

Installed a new SSD. Then installed the HP factory image on the new drive. So now I have the original SSD with the HP factory image and a second test drive with the HP factory image.

Did this so I could activate Win 10 on the second drive after doing the upgrade.

If Win 10 choked or was not working correctly I had the backup drive with my original HP factory installation ready to go.

Have had WDF_errors and found it was best to create the Win 10 installation media and install cleanly after getting the digital entitlement by doing the upgrade first. No errors after doing a clean Win 10 install.

The PC runs the latest version of Win 10 fine. I can also always go back to the factory operating system if I need to.

But I don't believe it is an HP problem. it may be a Microsoft problem. HP is not providing Win 10 drivers for my PC. Is this true for you?

Putting all your eggs in one basket can result in the loss of all if you drop the basket.

Jay

HP Recommended

Recently updated my HP Envy to Windows 10 and shortly after ended up with Windows 10 WDF_VIOLATION sad face and had to shut off holding the 'on' button down.  When I rebooted I got the black screen and the fan on overdrive.  Haven't been able to get the computer to boot up since.  I had done some recent backing up so won't lose much.  I'm ready to toss it in Lake Mead and never, EVER purchase a HP product again simply because the customer service and tech support is so poor.  If anyone comes across a fix that the average computer user can try I'd be interested. 

HP Recommended

An update from  my "WDF violation" and black screen of deasth issue in November. By mid-December (see earlier posts for details), HP's helpdesk had said they would escalate my issue to the 'Concern' team and that someone would contact me the next day to arrange pickup/repair of the PC as I was heading overseas for a month. I needed them to honour this promise. They didn't, but while 12 time zones away, I did have some missed calls in the early hours! Eventully they called at a time when I was still in the land of the living, and arranged to come round and sort out the PC when we were back in NZ.

They arrived, and replaced the hard disk and motherboard. Windows 8 was re-installed, and I'm not going to try Windows 10 again. HP haven't invoiced me for the repair, which is a wise decision on their part.

Good luck to the rest of you, and I'd better go and fill in another of those annoying HP feedback questionnaires, which I doubt are ever looked at.

HP Recommended

I tried everything but my HP Envy Phoenix 810 desktop just kept a black screen and an out of control fan.  Fortunately it was still under warranty so I shipped it back to HP.  I lost alll my data and programs and they had to reset the BIOS as it was apparently corrupted.  The computer is now back to running Windows 8.1 (factory reset) and I have no intention of installing Windows 10 on anything.

I hope this will help you but I am just glad my computer was still under warranty.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.