Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Murphy! Thanks for clearning that up for me. I have seen black screens with blinking cursers. That usally means that the PC is looking for a OS. It could however mean several things. My reply was trying to explain the MBR and why is wasn't being restored. Thank you for your reply to me. I learn from those.

Dokie!:smileywink:

HP Recommended
🙂
(y)
HP Recommended

Hi! For my good friend Murphy!! All suggestions on this thread were good and any one of them might solve a black screen problem.

The first thing is to unplug every thing except the mouse, KB, and monitor, like my friend Cheryl suggested, and restart your PC. If that doesn't help, inter into the BIOS and set it to default and restart.

Next You can inter into safe mode and try repair or maybe restore to a earlier time.

If you are not able to inter into safe mode (usually not a good sign), create a system repair CD and boot into the recovery mode with the system repair CD and try repair.(Some times it is necessary to try repair 3 times to achieve success.)

If no success there; while in to recovery mode with the CD, type Bootrec.exe/fixmbr. in the dos mode.

If no success, you may have a corrupted OS and will need to save your data with a docking cable or with a Linux OS, and restore back to factory. If you are not able to restore to factory settings, you probably have corrupted media or hardware problems;maybe even a bad DVD drive.

I have not taken the time to explain each one of these procedures in detail. I just want my friend Murphy to know this is not my first rodeo. The best gift you can give your self is to create frequent back ups of your OS with a program like Macrium Reflect.

PS No Murphy I won't be giving you a Kudo, but thanks for your PM:smileywink:

All members please feel free to add or disagree with any thing in my reply. That's the way I learn new things!

Dokie!

HP Recommended

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Hi! I know you will want to have the last word and so this will be my last reply to you,and then you can have your say.

I came here to help,learn, pass it forward and to make new friends.

I did not come here to cause trouble.

Dokie!!

PS your solution was very complicated and hard to follow for must PC owners. I never said it wouldn't work. I only thanked you for your PM. If you want to help members here on the HP forum, I'm sure your help will be appreciated. If you want to cause trouble then please do that some where else. This is a community and we are like one large family. Most of us donate our time for free. Now you have your say and lets stop this foolishness.

Dokie!

HP Recommended

Hey Dokie,
Believe me, I'm here to make friends myself!! 🙂

HP Recommended
Hey man what would be the other steps if that didn't work????
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.