Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

are you asking if they are ECC RAM?

Well, I don't know actually...

HP Recommended

@schillacif wrote:

are you asking if they are ECC RAM?

Well, I don't know actually...

Yes, because non-ECC RAM will not support  ?

HP Recommended

how can I check if they are ECC Ram?

HP Recommended

@schillacif wrote:

how can I check if they are ECC Ram?

Hopefully it will mention in RAM or you can check on there website, however you can insert the RAM normal PC see if its works or not and ater pluging the RAM into system you can via third party software like Aida64 

HP Recommended

The problem is that the PC does not start if I put that ram... should I remove the actaul ram and use these new one to see what happens?

HP Recommended

anyway, according the info on the we it should be non ECC (http://www.monclick.it/schede/nilox/NXD8L1600M1C11/nxd8l1600m1c11.htm)

HP Recommended

@schillacif wrote:

The problem is that the PC does not start if I put that ram... should I remove the actaul ram and use these new one to see what happens?

The new RAM which you bought just check in other PC the normal one, not with  Xeon  CPU desktop or workstation 

HP Recommended

@jleonard711 wrote:

@Anu0512 wrote:

jleonard711 

Your RAM are working fine ? can post some details like brand.  I have one question right now I have 16 GB in four solt and other four solt are empty  so if i put other brand RAM same like you so they will work with this RAM

Yes, my RAM is working fine. I have two Z420 systems (one has 32GB and the other has 16GB), and both are using ECC Registered (RDIMM) memory. Even though the HP whitesheet says to use unregistered/unbuffered memory, the registered memory works just fine and is actually cheaper because it's more common and easier to find. The 16GB that I bought most recently are Samsung 4x4GB modules with the HP P/N 500203-061, and I paid $20 delivered for 16GB!  

And yes, if you have 4 slots populated with 16GB (4x4GB) then you can add 4 more for a total of 32GB. And they can be different brands, but you'll want to make sure they are the EXACT same speed, capacity, and rank (i.e. 2Rx4, 2Rx8, etc). While this will increase your total RAM capacity, keep in mind that it will actually decrease your RAM performance. The reason for this is that the CPU & motherboard support 4 channels, so with 8 slots on the motherboard it means each channel has 2 slots. But the bandwidth of 2 slots is limited to what a single channel can handle, so putting 2 sticks into the same channel (1 black, 1 white) will double the capacity but those sticks will need to share the bandwidth of a single channel rather than each having their own dedicated channel.

If you want the best performance with 32GB of RAM you should remove the existing 4 x 4GB sticks and replace them with 4 x 8GB sticks.

Your CAS  latancy is 9, however by default in HP Z420 come with CL 11. And what else you upgrade in your sytem.

HP Recommended

@schillacif wrote:

anyway, according the info on the we it should be non ECC (http://www.monclick.it/schede/nilox/NXD8L1600M1C11/nxd8l1600m1c11.htm)

Sorry then it will not work.

https://www.itcreations.com/user-manuals/Z420/memory.pdf

HP Recommended

well... I'll try to change them...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.