Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Will there be a BIOS fix for HP ProlIant DL380 Gen9 servers as well?

HP Recommended

What is actually the fixed in the BIOS and does this known fault impact any older generation Z series workstation?

If so will there be a BIOS fix for older Z series worksation so that these users can install such PCIe cards in their PCIe slots?

HP Recommended

Dan_WGBU, Thank's for info

HP Recommended

Skylarking,

The very short answer is that the bridge end point reports a PCIe capabilities structure as version 1.0, but the BIOS interprets it as version > 2.0.  Then it clears a bit in the Main Control Register Data.  This should not happen, because clearing this bit blocks PCI-to-PCIe accesses in the bridge.  

There are no problems with older Z series workstations.  PCIe cards with this PLX bridge work correctly.  The new reference code used with the newer Z840/Z640/Z440 workstations came with this bug. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

The HP Proliant server group is aware of this problem, and is implementing a fix.  I am in the Workstations group, which is separate from the ISS (Industry Standard Server) group, so I do not know their BIOS update schedules. 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

The issue has been fixed in HP Gen9 BIOS v1.40 (released Jun 15th) in my experience

HP Recommended

Dan_WGBU,

thanks for taking the time to state that the issue described does not impact our older Z series workstations.

Your explanation is much appreciated.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

This problem was fixed in HP ProLiant DL380 G9 BIOS 1.40 and 1.50, but the problem is back in BIOS 2.00, 2.20 and 2.22 😞
Is HP planning a new fix related to this issue? Any one else experiencing the same?

HP Recommended

Hi fgorseth !

Got the same here. (PEX8211 based board in DL380 Gen9)

Problem is, our DL380 got V4 CPU's, so no Bios downgrade is possible (working only with bios >=V2.00)

(Customer a couple of DL390Gen9 with v3 CPU, all working fine, a new one come's with v4 Cpu = our solution is not working)

When we changed the CPU to v3 and downgraded the Bios, all is working fine.

We made a request to the HPE support, and got the answer :

---- schnipp ---

Status: Your case is closed. If you have further inquiries, please contact Hewlett Packard Enterprise GSD Customer Solution Center

Problem Resolution:

• cu has unsupported card that is causing issues
  • AHS log to be submitted
  • Cu informed that this is a non supported configuration
  • Cu advised to test a supported HPE configuration and contact us in case further assistance required

Product description: HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 E5-2620v4 2.1GHz 8-core 1P 16GB-R P440ar 8SFF 500W PS Server/TV

---- schnipp ---

So HPE tells us :

If we have an working system (Bios 1.50) and have to upgrade the Bios (maybe HPE support tell us to do this in case of a support case) , it's not HPE fault, the system is now broken.

That's no sign of a compentent answer. (Becaue the issue was fixed in V1.40 and V1.50 but it seems its forgotten in V2.xx).

Maybe someone at HPE can help us out with fix for DL380Gen9 with V4 Cpu's (I'm not sure, how long v3 CPU's can be ordered ??)

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi !

Sorry a typo in my last comment :

board has a PLX PEX8112 Chip (not 8211)

Regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.