Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So im trying to upgrade to 2 X5650s but it wont boot. I updated the bios to 3.57 and at least the 2 80mm fans dont go crazy but still no boot. The manuals online say its compatible. Thanks for any help

Model Z600 (FW863AV)

Z600B/ZC2.66+/L160/W4.0/295+a/p

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

What is your boot block date, from BIOS?

HP Recommended
1/30/09 I believe
HP Recommended

Here's the deal.... you are not expected to know this, but there are two types of Z600s (and two types of Z620s).  The originals, and the "revision 1" builds.  The easiest way to tell what box you have it to look at the BIOS boot block date and compare that to the info you'll find in this forum  to tell whether you have an original or a Revision 1.

EDIT:  I have learned that HP does not use the "Revision 1" term.  Let's use Version 1 and Version 2, and I'll edit my posts to reflect that from this point down for this thread........

If you have an original (Version 1), which I believe you do (I can never remember the exact boot block dates for the two Z600 types) then you are stuck, and can only run the processors that HP certified for the original.  This is not a big secret, and it is all searchable in this forum, but you will need to take the time to educate yourself.

A revision 1 Version 2 Z600 can run all the processors; an original (Version 1) Z600 can only run the older set of processors.

The neat thing about this Z600/Z800 generation of workstations is that it is the last where it was very easy to add a second processor (versus all the gear you need to add a second to the Z620).  HP always said it would be easy to add a second identical to the first.  They never intended for us to actually dump the first processor and add in two of a much faster processor, but this works.  Read up also on "microcode".  Use that search box at the top left.... it only searches this forum.  Lots of great posts were lost when HP split itself.

Good luck on your self-education.... if you lust after a Version 2 Z600 box then you need to consider getting a more recent motherboard and swapping that in.  That is all possible if you are handy... it is pretty easy, actually.

HP Recommended

Ive definitely done my searching on this forum and i absolutely appreciate the response. I found quite of few models out there and some had 5650s running on them already. I got confused when i saw "Rev. 1" on the PCB. Then i read someone had a 5650 on the same Z600 "5520 Rev 13" chipset and that matched mine so i thought i could get lucky.

So i guess im seeing that the original just doesnt have the microcode to run the newer processors but the hardware CAN do so.

Ill look into a possible MB replacement or perhaps a BIOS mod first if possible.

HP Recommended

We're doing things that HP did not intend, and yet they don't pull the plug on us helping each other.

The key info to search for is the two boot block dates, and if you have the earlier one then you are limited to the older processors.  The "microcode" thing has to do with HP having a "white list" built into BIOS that checks to make sure the processor(s) present match one in that list.  When you try one that does not match it is usually a flat no-go.

EDIT:  We have learned from our favorite HP engineer that there are some exceptions to the rule stated too rigidly above.  In face, and I have done this, some processors that never were in the QuickSpec official listings for some of the HP workstations were work just fine.  I write specifically having done this with an X5690 in a Version 2 Z400, and the Version 2 Z600 reportedly can accept two of those.  Currently the cost is about $400.00 for 2 used off eBay, 8/16.

I jumped mainly from the xw6600 to the Z620 workstations, so I have not experimented as much with the Z400/Z600 workstations, but they are excellent.  I am sure that if you choose to stick with your original Version 1 motherboard you will be able to find the fastest processor HP ever certified for it, and will benefit.

HP does have a QuickSpecs archive you can search through.  Make a list.... you'll see what they started with, then added to, and finally you'll see the Version 2 show up with the newer type processors.  As things go forward you can even see some processors drop off the list, but I have never found that a "dropped" processor will not work with one of the newer BIOS versions.  The microcode updates are generally included with BIOS updates, but they can be released a a microcode-only update (rare).  So, the advice is to always use the latest BIOS if you are doing these type of upgrades.

Keep us posted!

p.s.  Oh... and HP has a confusing AS# and SP# for parts.... two for the exact same part.  One assembly, and the other spares.  So, you need a decoder ring too.

HP Recommended

With some help i actually just managed to get it to post with 1 X5650. I get an error when booting to windows but ill deal with that later. Still wont do anything once i put the second one in but thats progress.

HP Recommended

There is only a single sSpec code for your processor (X5650).... SLBV3.  $1000.00 USD off Intel Ark site new; about $70.00 USD eBay used.  95W max TDP.  I like the recycle concept......

I have always found in these processor upgrades that if one works then two will too.  Work on getting things stable on one first, however.

There are some rare processors that are not officially listed on the HP QuickSpecs that will still run.  This is a fine point that may allow us to sometimes pull unexpected things off, and if you are getting help from someone who had done such a project please consider sharing that information.

There are some Z400s, for example, that can do what they should not be able to.......

HP Recommended
Once I pop in the second one the fans go ballistic. Weird. I'll fiddle around more tomorrow. So close yet so far. It read the processor correctly...but why not the second. I know the socket and the cpu work. Leaning towards the ram now...
HP Recommended
Oh, and I got it to post by taking all the ram out except 1 dimm and reset cmos after I updated bios. Now I can use all 3 dimms in cpu0 channel but it errors everything I put in the second bank. I hope that helps someone else in need.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.