Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've tried it through the official ways HPQFlash, DOSFlash and in the bios utility itself, but no success. I would need to go back to Bios 03.65 on my Z620 due to issues I'm facing since the upgrade to the latest version.

Is there any way to force the downgrade?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HP spXXXXX.exe files can be manually viewed and it's contents extracted without actually running the executable.

By using 7-zip and right clicking the spXXXXX.exe file, then selecting <7-zip> then <open archive> you can look inside.

With HP BIOS updates, you should first see an unnamed directory within 7-zip, which you can enter by double clicking it.

Then you'll see the directories "DOS Flash" and "HPQ Flash" along with some other files. 

Again by double clicking the "HPQ Flash" directory, you can enter it at which point you will see more files within.

Double clicking the "HPQFlash.txt" within 7-zip will open your default txt editing program.

Reading the contents of "HPQFlash.txt" you should see a comment similar to the following:

[path]\HPQFlash -? will display the available options for this utility.

Again from within 7-zip, highlight the "HPQ Flash " directory and click "extract" button, then specify where to save.

Open a command prompt and go to the location where you extracted the files using the "cd" command.

Finally type "HPQFlash.exe -?" and accept any UAC prompts, then read the options, take note of "-a" option.

Using this new info, you should be able to extract the old and desired ROM.cab file from the appropriate spXXXXX.exe file, along with the HPQFlash.exe file, then use the following command to update this older bios:

"HPQFlash.exe -fROM.cab -a" where ROM.cab is for the desired firmware version...

Alternatively, if you have already applied the old and new BIOS' in time gone by, then the executable contents should have already been saved on your computer.

So, using a command prompt, go to "C:\swsetup\spXXXXX\HPQ Flash" where XXXXX is related to the sp.exe for the BIOS version you are interested in downgrading to...

Then repeat the above mentioned command...

This may allow a forced downgrade, if the option does what it implies and the two BIOS versions are compatible.

But be warned, it may not work as expected since HP sometimes comments within the BIOS release notes that a specific BIOS can not be downgraded. As such you MUST READ ALL RELEASE NOTES between the version you want to downgrade to and up to the current version you have installed... If there is no mention that downgrade can not be performed, you should be good to go... but if it states downgrade is not allowed, DONT DO IT without confirmation from HP support as it may corrupt something and you could end up with a brick !!!

So, caveat emptor... and don't blame me for bricks...

Oh, and as a discloser, i have never tried to downgrade HOP system BIOS...

HP Recommended

Ok, I hadn't seen that HPQFlash had options available that Dosflash et al don't.

I will give it a try tonight. Thanks for the detailed description, btw., have everything already on my disk, just missed the -a piece.

HP Recommended

So I tried it already - unrecoverable error 0X0D as a result. I understand it is due to bios incompatibility when flashing upwards. Any thoughts?

Will try going back all the versions after each other and see if it works.

edit: I can only downgrade as far as 3.84 - not even 3.80, where it is stated that with 3.80 one cannot go to an earlier version.

in general I can't understand why a full bios flash cannot be performed regardless of the version - as long as it supports the installed CPUs.

HP Recommended

According to a quick google search, an urecoverable error 0x0D may be due to either BIOS password issues or due to an incompatible BIOS upgrades (and presumably downgrade) path....

So as a first step, i'd remove BIOS password and try to step down just one level of BIOS revision at a time... The again read all the release note prerequisits for upgrade restrictions... 

Other than that, you may also need to talk to HP support asHP documentation can at time lack detail and/or quality, so it may not list all restrictions/prerequisits within all the BIOS release notes.

And note that HP does release and then occassionally pull BIOS versions for unexplained reasons. But what happens to those that have downloaded such version? what prerequisits or issues can that place on them w.r.t. other updates or downgrades when such ex-releases no longer have release notes?

In any case, shouldn't your Z620 still be under warrenty? If so you should get a case raised with HP to fix the issue you are having with the latest BIOS... As a workaround, while HO get their dicks in a row and fixes the issue, HP support should also help you downgrade. But the original issue wth the latest BIOS must be fixed my HP so don't let them close the first case against their latest BIOS...

As to why we can't do what we want with our BIOSes?

<rant>

The cabal comprising the big industry players like MS, Intel, the big OEM's along with media rights holders, all wanted more control over us. They'd say they wanted to protect us from rootkits (would be a bit rich if coming from Sony) and provide a more secure method of software validation and secure digital path for music/movies. They say it will benifit us all... so they have locked us out of our own machines with UEFI, signed BIOS's, protected video/audio paths, Vpro, etc, etc...

Even simple microcode update to get the latest processor are too hard as either the socket was needlessly changed or the OEM will not update the signed BIOS. End result is that the system wont boot with an otherwise compatible CPU or the CPU wont fit... So you can't have it unless you buy the next model... End result is that rather than us owning our machinesm, and the manufacturers supporting us with usefull backward compatibility, they'd prefer we simply consider it a lease and just pay for the later updated unit...

Simpy give me a socketed BIOS chip with no physical path to write to it from the OS and i wont need their protection via encrypted and/or signed BIOSes... I could mod the BIOS, upgrade or downgrade as needed, and i'd be happier...

Simply keep backward compatibility unless their is a strong technical, not accounting reason to change a socket...

</rant>

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.