cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
M-5
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

a computer wont start and produces continuous beeps

HP Recommended
Hp workstation xw6200

i was working on a computer then suddenly it just shut down itself so when i tried to restart it, it never start up again and producess continuous beeps. i tried to disconnect all peripherals but still the system unit could make continuos beeps. i have tried to remove the RAM but no avail.so what should i do?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,951 42,191 4,642 12,404
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Continuous beeps usually indicate that memory has failed.

Remove all of the modules and start testing them by putting one in slot one and powering on.

Do that for each module to find out which one has failed.  You will know which modules are OK  by the lack of beeps and powering on to login. See the following image. Once you find two modules that are working, place them inslots 1 and 3.

DIMM slots.png

Troubleshooting beep codes (HP help document)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-xw6200-Workstation/409749/document/bph07107#AbT1

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,230 119,407 19,503 29,803
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, @M-5 :

You have to count the beeps, and then use the troubleshooting guide below to determine what the beeps are telling you and the recommended troubleshooting steps.

That section begins with chapter 5, page 42.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01375695

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation