Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
h8-1070t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Where do I get a a full UEFI BIOS which is a HP level 8 or higher
BIOS level for my h8-1070t then? HP shipped it with a Pegatron
IPISB-CH2 motherboard. Warranty expired, though. I asked
Pegatron a few months ago; no answer. A Google search for IPISB-CH2 gave about half of the first 20
items found saying that this motherboard will not boot with any
Geforce 700 series graphics card. Tried, and failed to boot with
two brands of GTX 750 Ti cards. I found this previous thread on this subject but could not add
anything to it: bios freezes on Hp IPISB-CH2 with new graphic card installed http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/bios-freezes-on-Hp-IPISB-CH2-with-new-graphic-card-installed/m-p/4631736#M88740
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Well, there are problems when trying to upgrade the graphics card in that model motherboard.  HERE ARE THE COMPATIBLE GPUs listed for that model. 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The RX 460 looks like a possible choice, but tight on the power supply (mine is 300 watts).

Where can I find the power requirements of the DH16ABLH DVD burner in my h8-1070t?

A Google search for DH16ABLH did not find anything on its power requirements.

HP Recommended
I found a listing for:

SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon RX 460 100409NT-4GOCL 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x8
HDCP Ready Video Card Is that close enough to the Radeon RX 460 Sapphire Nitro 4G D5 to also be
compatible?
HP Recommended

The power supply requirements can be calculated with THIS POWER SUPPLY CALCULATOR. If in doubt, then move up to a larger capacity power supply.  They are not that hard to change out and not that expensive, either.

As to the video card in question, that most likely it is very similar to the other one noted.  IMHO, if in doubt, make sure any card you purchase can be returned if it does not work in the h8-1070t.  I would plan on changing out the power supply.  It is not that much more work to insure a good performance from the system after swapping out the video card.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Upgrading the power supply is not an option for this location, unless I think of a good reason for frequently tripping the circuit breaker.

At any rate, the problem with choosing a new graphics card is due to the motherboard, not the power supply.

I've already tried two brands of GTX 750 Ti; the computer won't finish booting with either.  Both work fine in my other computer, though.

On a related subject, doe the h8-1070t boot using a BIOS or using a UEFI instead?  Is this at least part of the problem with which graphics cards are compatible?

HP Recommended

"Upgrading the power supply is not an option for this location, unless I think of a good reason for frequently tripping the circuit breaker."  That is not a logical conclusion.  If it actually is, then there are more problems that is way beyond help here.

The GTX 750 Ti is a nice graphics card and is the topic of many  of the stories involving HP PS's with the motherboard series similar to the one in your PC.  Those cards are just one of the incompatible  ones.  The problem is with the BIOS of the motherboard but HP has not issued any solutions.  The only solution is to choose a card from the compatible list or not change the card.

"At any rate, the problem with choosing a new graphics card is due to the motherboard, not the power supply."  That is only partially true.  since the power supply in your PC is 300w, then that will also limit the choices for a graphics card upgrade.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

"Upgrading the power supply is not an option for this location, unless I think of a good reason for frequently tripping the circuit breaker."  That is not a logical conclusion.  If it actually is, then there are more problems that is way beyond help here.

The GTX 750 Ti is a nice graphics card and is the topic of many  of the stories involving HP PS's with the motherboard series similar to the one in your PC.  Those cards are just one of the incompatible  ones.  The problem is with the BIOS of the motherboard but HP has not issued any solutions.  The only solution is to choose a card from the compatible list or not change the card.

"At any rate, the problem with choosing a new graphics card is due to the motherboard, not the power supply."  That is only partially true.  since the power supply in your PC is 300w, then that will also limit the choices for a graphics card upgrade.

Logical, for reasons I see no point in discussing here.

Where can I find cards on the compatible list?  I'm considering a few models of RX 460, but none match the entry on the compatible cards list exactly, and I do not have adequate information on which parts of the description I can ignore a mismatch in.

Power supply also limiting choice - agreed.

HP Recommended

Because this topic is much talked about and very few cards have been posted as actually working in the motherboard, I cannot comment on the RX 460 with guaranteed results.  The best I can do is say make sure the place you purchase has a good return policy.  Also, with the 300w power supply, it does not give much confidence, either.

You happen to be between a rock and a hard spot, so to say.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I've noticed than AMD makes it much  harder than Nvidia to tell if cards based on their GPUs are supposed to work with a certain power supply rating.  Someone told me that a RX 460 should work, but it's hard finding the power supply rating it needs so I can check if he gave me a useful answer.

Definitely between a rock and a hard place.

I've been trying for months to find some worthwhile upgrade that works; it now looks like I'll have to check if I can use the motherboard GPU for the user interface so it allows booting, and at the same time use the new graphics board only for OpenCL work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.