Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone so i bought the new game Dragon Age: Inquistion for my pc and the computer is only about 2 months old but the game is running slow so my graphics card isn't powerful enough and I can't figure out which graphic's card  or  power supply to get that will be compatible with my computer. From what i see i'm going to need both.

pc specs

»HP Pavilion 500-223w Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR) 
 Product Number:   F3D69AA 

8 gb of ram

150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches) power supply 300wat (which i want to upgrade)

• This motherboard supports processors with the following Integrated Graphics:

• Intel HD Graphics 4400 (GT2)
  • Intel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)
  • Integrated Graphics is combined with the installed processor.
  • See the Processor upgrade information section of this document for detailed information.
  • One PCI Express x16 slot (Gen 3.0)
    NOTE:Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

can someone please help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I ran a simulator for the Dragon Age: Inquisition and the processor and memory in your HP 500-223w meet or exceed the recommended requirements. However, the video in your PC doesn't meet the recommended level even at 1024 by 768 resolution.  The NVIDIA 750 would also not meet the recommended requirements even at 1024 by 768 resolution.

The power supply will need to be replaced to support a graphics card that will meet the recommended requirements.

The Corsair CX600 would be an excellent choice as it matches up the existing HP power supply dimensions. $65

The AMD R9 270 would exceed the recommeded requirements for Dragon Age: Inquisition. These are on sale from $100 and up.  Do some measuring inside yiour PC.  This Sapphire R9 270 model would be a good choice at $130 afer rebate

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It depends on your budget...

Here are the recommended specs for your game.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/dragon-age-inquisition-system-requirements/

If you're going to start spending money to upgrade to play your game, I found it better to buy more then you need because in the end you're going to find another game that requires more resources.

I would go with the NVIDIA GTX970

and an 850 watt power supply _ the bare minimum for the GTX 970 is 500 watts, so you would probably still be OK with a 600 watt supply, but I am trying to future proof you here a bit.

The new generation of NVIDIA cards are quite good (GTX 970 and GTX 980), they have fewer cores, but they run faster and cooler then the old GTX780 and GTX 780 Ti.

For that reason I don't like AMD _ they have a tendency to run hot and I'm not going to recommend AMD.

My only concern here is your motherboard _ does it have enough power to handle the GTX 970 ???

Let me do some checking and hopefully I can find out before you run out and spend some cash.

Also keep in mind that your cabinet is designated as a "Mid Tower" some video cards may not fit, you can look up the specs from Newegg.com and check.

I also recommend adding another case fan or two to handle the extra heat that the new video card will produce.

Keep in mind that your new HP desktop was not really meant to game on, so even with a better card and new power supply, you may need a new MoBo, processor, a bigger case to house it all _ it can go on and on.

It can quite expensive...

One more thing, you need to remove your serial number as that is personal information, one of the mods will do it eventually, but the sooner the better.

HP Recommended

motherboard:

• Manufacturer: Pegatron
  • Form factor: uATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset: Intel H87
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
  • Processor socket: LGA 1150
  • Expansion Slots:

• 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0)
  • 3 PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
  • 1 PCI Express half-length mini card x1

hey thanks for replying,

Not sure if that will help in saying if it can handle the power supply.  However my main problem is that the power supply's and graphics cards i have been looking at were to big to fit in the computer as you metioned it's a midtower a bit of a hassle.... but it looks like the video card you recommended would fit just that its a bit high in  price lol i know this can get very expensive but honestly  the game actually runs alright, its just a big slow at times and with all the trouble ive got through i really feel i won't be buying any other games for this pc. Also with it  not being  a gaming pc doesn't help. The game was a gift & i really would like to play it though. i think it just needs a little boost but I can't seem to find anything to make this work don't know what graphic card will fit, probably just go for the minimum here.  any other suggestions? and thanks for telling me about the serial # Doh!

HP Recommended

The GeForce GTX 750 is a great, high efficiency card. The minimum power requirement is a 300W PSU, so yours would work, though a slightly more powerful one would be better.

EDIT: If you get that card make sure to get a version with the toggle switch that allows you tos witch from the UEFI BIOS mode to the legacy BIOS mode.

--------------------------------
I work on behalf of HP (But this isn't my job)

Mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, so that others with the same question can find the answer.

Please give me Kudos if I wrote something that helped you.
HP Recommended

The 750 would be be better then the Intel integrated graphics, but still is below what the recommended specs requirement of the GTX 660.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

The thing to look for when purchasing a card is how many cores the video chip has and what speed they run at.

This is more important then how much video ram there is, although that is important too.

The 750 has 512 cores running at a base clock of 1020 Mhz.

The 660 has 960 cores running at a base speed of 980 Mhz.

Even though the 660 is a little slower then the 750, the 660 has almost double the amount of cores.

But the 660 is over 9 inches long as apposed to the 5.7 inches of the 750.

So even though the GTX 750 is a 700 series card the 660 is more powerful, but requires at least a 450 watt power supply to run it.

What worries me is the MoBo, if you look at the screen shot it only has a 4 pin ATX power supply connection other then the standard 24 pin power connector.

You could put a new video card in the slot and it may not work.

A better MoBo will have an 8 pin connector.

I had a HP Phoenix with a 4 pin connector and I tried to hook up a GTX 760 and it the MoBo wouldn't even see it.

ATX 4 Pin.PNG

Let me do a little more research here. :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi,

I ran a simulator for the Dragon Age: Inquisition and the processor and memory in your HP 500-223w meet or exceed the recommended requirements. However, the video in your PC doesn't meet the recommended level even at 1024 by 768 resolution.  The NVIDIA 750 would also not meet the recommended requirements even at 1024 by 768 resolution.

The power supply will need to be replaced to support a graphics card that will meet the recommended requirements.

The Corsair CX600 would be an excellent choice as it matches up the existing HP power supply dimensions. $65

The AMD R9 270 would exceed the recommeded requirements for Dragon Age: Inquisition. These are on sale from $100 and up.  Do some measuring inside yiour PC.  This Sapphire R9 270 model would be a good choice at $130 afer rebate

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Yes, finally a forum metnioning my motherboard.

I to also have the i3-4130.  It has 8gb of ram, and a 4th gen i3 with hyperthreading.  I want to play some new games, bf 4, dragon age, dirty bomb, crysis 3.  I don't really care about playing on high settings on 1080...Just medium-low.  I see videos online of people using the i3 to play these games with r9 270x r9 280.. gtx 770, 750. But I know those peopl'es dads didn't buy  an HP desktop at an office store to be used as the 'family computer'. This computer has the processor and ram for a medium level gaming computer, but the motherboard is where I need to know before I buy a 600-700w power supply and r9 270x graphics card. The earlier poster brought up the 4 pin issue on the motherboard. Does anyone have any new knowledge of this? I know these parts I want to buy will fit, and I've read alot online that the i3 will not bottleneck the r9 270x, especially for medium graphic settings.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.