Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am looking to buy a graphics card for my HP Compaq dc7800 Small Form Factor PC, I would like to have cheap cards. What would you recommend.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are rather limited with the 240W power supply.

I would get a used low profile ATI Radeon 2400 HD 256 MB PCIe card on eBay.

This Dell card I posted should work just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-ATI-Radeon-HD-2400PRO-320-5891-/280798788349?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash...

If you want a new low profile card with HDMI out you can check the link below for the Radeon HD 6450. But make sure the card you get comes with the low profile bracket, and read the reviews on some of these cards where they say the VGA pins hamper closing the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006662&IsNodeId=1&Description=HD%2064...

If you get a card with HDMI out, it will disable your onboard video, so restart the PC after you load the drivers for the card, go into the BIOS and in the device configuration menu, change the onboard audio setting from disabled to enabled. Save the setting there and again when you exit. Then you will get your onboard audio back and also have HDMI audio if you need it.

Paul

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are rather limited with the 240W power supply.

I would get a used low profile ATI Radeon 2400 HD 256 MB PCIe card on eBay.

This Dell card I posted should work just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-ATI-Radeon-HD-2400PRO-320-5891-/280798788349?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash...

If you want a new low profile card with HDMI out you can check the link below for the Radeon HD 6450. But make sure the card you get comes with the low profile bracket, and read the reviews on some of these cards where they say the VGA pins hamper closing the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006662&IsNodeId=1&Description=HD%2064...

If you get a card with HDMI out, it will disable your onboard video, so restart the PC after you load the drivers for the card, go into the BIOS and in the device configuration menu, change the onboard audio setting from disabled to enabled. Save the setting there and again when you exit. Then you will get your onboard audio back and also have HDMI audio if you need it.

Paul

HP Recommended
Tack så mycket ska funder på.
HP Recommended
You're very welcome.
HP Recommended

Hellow

I have HP dc7800, Intel core 2 quad, Q6600 2.40GHz, with 2 GB ram and I've Installed windows 7,

I want to upgrade the same for optimum Gaming performence, i.e 265MB video card, can any body tell me how can I change my video card's shared memory to 265 mb, and how much onboard memory will be left after that for the game?

Also do I need to intall external DDR2 RAm for better performece? if so tel me the brand which will work best with my system, would Kingston be ok with it?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't change the shared video memory in a dc7800.

What form factor of the dc7800 do you have?  That makes a difference what model video card you have.

The memory for a dc7800 SFF or CMT is PC2-6400, 4 x 2 GB if you have a 64 bit operating system.  Otherwise 4 GB is all that is recognized with a 32 bit operating system.

Kingston memory of the above spec would be fine (non-ecc, unbuffered).

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi

My I have built in Graphic card of 256 MB

the system information shows

Adapter type as : Intel GMA 3100

Adapter Description: Intel Q35 Express Chipset family

and its working on 32-bit O/S win 7

plz tell if i can still change my Adapter memory to 512mb with extra memory installed, if not then recomment a cheap Graphic card

HP Recommended

Hi:

You cannot change the memory size of the onboard GMA video, no matter how much physical memory you add to the PC.

You did not answer my question about what form factor of the PC you have.

Ultra Slim Desktop?

Small Form Factor?

Convertible MIni Tower?

I cannot give you recommendations for a video card unless I know the form factor, as the power supplies have different wattages, which is probably one of the most important factors in determining what video cards can be installed.

Paul

HP Recommended

OH sorry abt that

its Small Form Factor

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you want to go new, get a Radeon HD 6450.

That should work with the P/S in your PC.

That is the optional video adapter in the 8200 Elite SFF which also has a 240W P/S.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.