Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Self Built
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a system crash and hppdfaxio.sys error message come up.  With hours and hours of work, I found the source and deleted it.  It still happens now.  Anyone have advice for me?  It's from the file hpfxfax.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @VetaB – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I’d like to help with your issue!

Going through your post, I understand that you are getting "hppdfaxio.sys" error coming up on your PC. To assist you better, I need to know the model number of your PC. If unsure, check: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Also, have you installed any printer/fax machine on your PC? If so, try removing the drivers completely.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer related entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

If the issue persists, try installing and running some cleaner programs such as CCleaner. This will help you clean the left over registry files and hence will put a stop to the error messages.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I had worked through the issue myself.  I use AVG as my virus program and pay for their remote help.  They went through the computer but wouldn't delete the specified file since it was a .sys file.  I did that myself, then the problems halted.  I cleaned up all my Hp programs(maybe didn't dig as deep as you instructed).  Then restarted the computer.  I downloaded a new set of drivers and that file was back!  I deleted it again.  I'm back up and running now and thankfully AVG let me keep the program that they used to find the file.  I check it daily right now to make sure nothing as been downloaded in the updates.

HP Recommended

Hello, @VetaB

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Please consider marking the post as "Accepted solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumps up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.