Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had this problem with several HP t610 Thin Clients. When i load the machine with a new image it works fine, but the error comes back, once every 2-3 months. With the older models i did not have this problem at all.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I took this fix and modified it from here /t5/Workstations-Thin-Clients/Thin-Client-t-5565/td-p/5843473?adid=10428184&affpid=3349309&aoid=3525... thanks mcolson

While the screen is scrolling

Hit enter you should see a log on prompt scroll past log in with root and then password root

Once at the hash "#" type stop hptc-dm and hit enter.

At this point you will be at a # command prompt and the errors will be gone. Now you have to remove the corrupt xorg.conf file that is causing this headache so do a 
cd / hit enter
cd etc hit enter
cd X11 hit enter and then run an ls you should see a xorg.conf and an xorg.conf.orig we want to delete both of these. They will recreate so no worries. 
So now type rm xorg.conf hit enter and then type rm xorg.conf.orig and hit enter. If you do another ls you shouldn’t see the xorg.conf files any more.
Type shutdown -r now hit enter

The issue is with a corrupted screen refresh rate variable in these xorg.conf files, not entirely sure of the cause but it seems to happen from various points.

This worked for me on 2 HP T610 Plus clients

I'm going to contact HP to see if there is an update to stop this happening.

Lee

HP Recommended

I figured out that It happens to the Thin clients where i have changed the resolution to 1440x900 so the old folks can see the screen better 😉

But it should not happen, the older thin clients i never had this problem.

HP Recommended
Thankyou for this answer!
HP Recommended

After thinking about it, i also set the refresh rate to 60, i'am going to see what happens when i set this to auto and only the resolution to 1440x900.

HP Recommended

HP has called me, they picked up the thin client, i have it back. hp told me to replace motherboard, instead hp did a bios upgrade. The good thing is that hp could duplicate the failure.

I wil keep you posted!

HP Recommended

I've been off for a week so finally starting to follow this up.

I would be curious to know if they come back with a fix.

I'll contact HP at this end as well to see if they come up with a fix.

Hopefully a quick BIOS update and all is well

HP Recommended

I have this same issue and I cannot seam to get the screen to stop long enough to get the user name and password entered. Any ideas? 

HP Recommended

Had it once again, updated BIOS and the latest image with the tweak from this thread

/t5/Workstations-Thin-Clients/t610-with-image-4-2-and-RDP7-timeout/m-p/6035377/highlight/false#M1689...

HP Recommended

This needs to be veryfied a little bit because it is not acutally working like that.

This is for Thinstation T610

This is the Step BY Step to get it workign within 5 minutes.

1. Shutdown Thinclient

2. Start the Thinclient using Power button

3. Press ESC Until you see the HP MENU

4. Press F1 and right away press ESC again.

5. You will see a new MENU SCREEN containing 2 entries for Ubuntu Start menus

6. Select the RECOVERY MODE of Ubuntu

7. It will take a minute and when you see that there is no more scrolling on th screen hit enter

8. USERNAME is root press enter

9.Password is root press enter

10. TYPE = stop hptc-dm and press enter

11. Change directory to  /X11 -- Note you need to use Capital Letter X for X11 otherwise you will get an error

use this to change.. cd /etc/X11 and press enter , this because its UNIX

12. now type = rm xorg.conf and enter, also rm xorg.conf.orig enter

You can also remove the file direct entering this command below

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf enter and or respectively rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig

then use reboot -now

you should now be able to boot your Thinclient normally again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.