Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
P6-2108P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having a problem with my computer starting back up after it's been sitting idle for a short period of time. If i have computer on & step away from it for a bit it goes into screensaver mode and shows my screensaver. If i click on mouse, move mouse or it enter on keyboard the screensaver stops and screen goes black then does nothing, it won't do anything and i can't log back in. I have to shut the computer off by the power button and turn computer back on to go back to what i was doing.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @spddmn1972, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that when the PC goes into the idle mode it freezes or locks up and goes to black screen.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

If the computer became unresponsive (locked up or froze) after installing a specific program or application, remove that particular program.
Use the following steps to remove software:
Press the Windows key.
Click Power, and then hold the Shift key while you click Restart.
On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot and then click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings, and then click Restart.
Press the 4 key to restart the computer in Safe Mode.
When the Windows desktop displays, Safe Mode is displayed in the four corners of the screen.
Press the Windows key.
Click Control Panel.
Click Programs and Features.
The Programs and Features screen displays.
Find the application causing the lockup and note the Installed On date. If another application was installed the same day the lockups started to occur, that program might be contributing to the lockup.
Select the application that is causing the lockups and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change.

Refer this article to troubleshoot Computer Locks Up or Freezing issues.

If the issue still persists, please download and install latest HP support assistant on your PC and check for latest updates and drivers.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.