Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 500-131a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am having issues with the audio output from the front 3.5mm jack on my pavilion 500-131a running win 10 64bit. 

The rear output is going to speakers ok.

When going to the audio output from the tray I can see the speakers and also hi-def spdif  (idt codec) showing ok.

I plug in my headphones into the front port on the PC and the headphones get detected but when trying to playback audio it still comes through the speakers.  I have run the full troubleshooter including restarts and bios checks. I have tried to set the headphones as the default device but it won't let me. I unplugged the speakers. still unable to select headphones. It automatically defaults back to the spdif interface. 

I have tried different headphones with no change and they all work on other devices. Still detecting the device just can't change the default output to the headphones.

When I run the test tone through the sound control panel I can get the stereo sound check to come through the headset ok. 

Using VLC if I go to the audio settings I can change the output to the headphone and I can get the audio but if I try anything else such as a game or youtube via chrome or IE  get no audio. 

please help I need the front audio jack to work.

Thanks 

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Moodlay,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand that you are facing audio issues on your computer. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did this happen after a recent update/upgrade to Windows 10?

Recommend you to try checking the sound settings, as well as other steps suggested in the support document for - Resolving Headphones and Headset Problems

Let me know how it goes. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can confirm that there has been a recent win 10 update but I can not confirm if this had any impact as I didn't use the headphones for a few days after the latest update only speakers which do work. 

I have followed all the instructions on the troubleshooting link. I can confirm that the headphone socket is working using the hp component diagnostic. I can also confirm that windows detects the headset. The only thing that I keep getting an error on is that windows cannot set the headphones as the default device no matter how I go about it via manually doing it or using the troubleshooter to try and set it.  Also as indicated if I use the sound setting test tone it comes through the headset ok but no applications will use the headphone output by default and most apps do not have the option to choose the output like vlc does which is the only app that i can manually push the audio to the headset through. I have also disabled any other sound devices to try and force the sound through the headset but still get nothing. 

Please help

HP Recommended

Hi @Moodlay,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Kudos to you for a job brilliantly done. You've shown great patience, resilience and commendable troubleshooting inclination to try and resolve the issue. Hats off to you. As @Jeet_singh is out of office for the day, I am taking over from here to assist you.

Please try these steps first.

Right click on the “Volume icon” on the bottom right corner.

b) Select “Recording devices”.

c) Under the “Recording” tab right click on the white empty space and check the box that says, “Show disabled devices” and “Show disconnected devices”.

d) Right click on “Stereo Mix” and “Enable” this device.

e) Highlight “Stereo Mix”, click on “Properties” and go to the “Listen” tab.

f) Check the box "Listen to this device", also change the drop-down box below "Playback through this device" to be your second audio device.

g) To verify that you've done this correctly, go back to the sound dialog tab “Playback”, you should now see both of your audio devices showing the little green graphs moving.

If this does not fix it, please perform a system restore to an earlier time before the issue occurred from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Please select the option “Restore your computer when Windows starts normally”. Then follow the on-screen instructions and check again.

If it still does not work, please go to device manager and uninstall the audio drivers. Steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.