Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Your PC's motherboard is:

• Manufacturer: Pegatron
  • Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 9100
  • Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
  • Front side bus speeds: 5200MT/s (5.2 GT/s)
  • Processor socket: AM3
    So contact HP first, see if they are willing to help you. If they refuse. Then just get a matching motherboard to replace it (if you are familiar with the computer hardware stuff). 
    AM3 mother board is the main stream in the market and should be very easy to find.
    My situation is way worse than yours, mine is AM2 motherboard which is very difficult to find. And I wanna stick with the three main brands (MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte) too which makes it even more difficult to find any.
HP Recommended

I have an  Pavilion p6320f with the M2N78-LA motherboard. When turn it on it goes to the blue HP screen and freezes. I I hold down the F11 key when starting, it goes to the diagnostic screen. The CPU and memory check out OK. Then it gives the BIOHD-2 error and says it can find no drives. I would try my recovery disk in the CDROM drive but it is not found. Everyone says that it is the hard drive, but it would be odd that the CDROM went out at the same time. I replaced the power supply - no help. I was thinking that it must be something wrong with the SATA controller or the BIOS so I replaced the motherboard - no help. Hitting F5 to reset to defaults has no effect. It does find my external hard drives when I connect them but not the Cdrive or CDROM. I guess I'll replace the hard drive and the CDROM drive, and if it still doesn't work I'll assume my new motherboard is also bad (SATA controller or BIOS). I am very disapointed that HP hasn't published a fix for this problem. I guess that HP products are only good for target practice. I'm using my 12 year old Gateway to write this.

HP Recommended

@Vetteguy63

Did you buy the same HP board or a different one? If you bought the same HP one, you probably got a refurb that has the same issue. I HIGHLY recommend buying a different brand.

HP Recommended

I guess I should send the new motherboard back and see if I can get my $283 back. How in the world am I supposed to know what other motherboard would be compatible with my setup? As you can see, I'm rapidly running out of patience here. Sure glad I kept this Gateway made in 1999 though. At least I can do email (very slowly). Should I take the hard drive out of it and try it in the HP?

HP Recommended

Based on HP's website,your motherboard spec is:

• Manufacturer: Pegatron
  • Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 9100
  • Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
  • Front side bus speeds: 5200MT/s (5.2 GT/s)
  • Processor socket: AM3
  • Expansion Slots:

• 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
  • 2 PCI Express x1 slots
  • 1 PCI slot
  • 1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot
    So microATX  and AM3 are the importand specs you should look for. AM3 boards are main stream now so should be easy to find. You may need to do some modification to the front board cable PIN out based on the previous poster's report. So you may need some PC hardware knowlege to do so.
    Computer repair is a hit and miss thing. It may be a good idea to buy the replacement motherboard from a place with generous return police just in case it doesn't work  ...
HP Recommended

im a computer technician and i've been working on this issue for more than a week.

i think the problem here is the sata controller or the southbridge/northbridge runs so hot!

on my first diagnostic. i tried to replace HD, but that is not the problem. memory and processor is ok.

its booting on bootable ubuntu flashdrive and i tried to use this for 12hours running. there's no problem

but if i tried to put a Sata drive, i will encounter BSOD or it wont recognize HD.

well. this board is useless! for now the only solution i think is to replace the board!

i think HP have to do something on this issue with all this  reported problem! they wont just ignore us and do something about this!

HP Recommended
im a computer technician and i've been working on this issue for more than a week.

i think the problem here is the sata controller or the southbridge/northbridge runs so hot!

on my first diagnostic. i tried to replace HD, but that is not the problem. memory and processor is ok.

its booting on bootable ubuntu flashdrive and i tried to use this for 12hours running. there's no problem

but if i tried to put a Sata drive, i will encounter BSOD or it wont recognize HD.

well. this board is useless! for now the only solution i think is to replace the board!

i think HP have to do something on this issue with all this reported problem! they wont just ignore us and do something about this!

HP Recommended
**bleep**! keep on coming! i think all this cheap M2N78-LA board are starting to screw HP bigtime! i dont normally subscribe to a forum just to post something! but i did! just to post how i felt about this cheap motherboard!
HP Recommended

Add me to the list. Same mobo. Has now deteriorated to the point I get no post. Just 1 short beep followed by 1 long signifying a memory issue.

HP Recommended

ITs not your ram, hd, cdrom,sata controller, or anything other than THE PIECE OF CRAP MOtherBOard!!!

Jeez people...

THE m2n78-LA IS CRAP... thats all there is to it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.