Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, the fan kept it working for 9 months. Then I started getting "Hard Drive Failure" errors. Very soon it would not boot at all. I guessed that the HD was actually good. I bought a new computer (Lenovo, not HP) and then put the old HD into a SATA enclosure, and connected it via USB. I was able to read it fine, and retrieve all my files. 

HP Recommended

My HP8530f went down about 6 mos ago after I added 2 fans and stripped out the internal HD bay to open up the inside of the machine for ventilation.  I took out the HD but it will not boot or give access.  Luckily I was using MS to mirror all on a 2d computer so no data loss of consequence.  I purchased an IBuyPower i5 and will not have another HP.  I guess I could get another HD for the HP8530f but do not really trust it for anything much.  I might try it this winter and use it as a backup but I will nver trust it as a main again. Shame 8gig of RAM and 64bit Win Vista.  Oh well.

HP Recommended
Hp p6130f pc locks up on boot up.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

Tested ram
Tested hdd
Blew case out (dust)
Cleaned system startup processes
Removed ram trying 4GB in each channel separately
Disconnected all cables but hdd
Tried system recovery

Thought maybe it was the hdd so I bought new and windows 8. Went to load it on and the pc locks up at the setup/boot menu window. Received error 0xc00000e9, 0x80300001 and then install boot media device restart when selected. Was able to get into adding my product key but then wouldn't verify it.

I tried swapping out dvd roms created an iso image on a new disk. Nothing is working. Also set bios to default and had to reset cmos a few times to even boot into the bios.

Is this the motherboard issue? I was able to connect the hard drive to a docking station and save their pictures and files.

Please let me know your thoughts as I am banging my head on the wall.
HP Recommended

I am no expert, but I am told that the problem is on the motherboard. A chip in the nvidea graphics chipset overheats and desolders itself. There are ways to resolder it, but the problem will return. There may be a way to use a graphics card to get around the problem. It's just a bad motherboard. No easy answers to this one.

HP Recommended

OK, 9 months have passed since I fixed my PC. So I am providing an update about the status.

If you look back to my previous posts you would know that I fixed my PC by adding a SATA card and a video card (the video card was not really necessary, it was just put in to ease the burden of the Nvidia chip). This PC has been working since then. I am actually writing this post on the fixed PC.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the update, maple-canada! I'm sure this will help others who may find themselves with a similar issue. 🙂
HP Recommended

About a year and a half here and going strong.
Fixed my pc with spare parts bought online.

Cannot be any happier NOT to own a HP Pc.

Once again {Filter Evasion Removed} Hp and their cheap pcs.

Best build your own.
Kudos

HP Recommended
I had a customer with this same issue and will be trying a pci express sata controller to see if that will work. This is the second HP I've come across with a widespread known issue that HP refuses to acknowledge. The first being the video card on my old DV9000. I see a common factor here besides both being HP, and that is nvidia.
HP Recommended

Fit a PCI express SATA controller card, connect your HDD & DVD/CD drives and the PC will come to life straight away.

Basically, the problem with these motherboards is the nvidea chips, which act as the onboard SATA controller, overheat and subsequently fail. A short term fix seems to be extra cooling, but ultimately failure will happen.

PCIe SATA controller, cheap as chips, make sure you get one with AT LEAST two internal ports, one for your HDD, and one for your DVD/CD.

Your PC will come to life yet again!

HP Recommended

You mention to get a PCI-Express SATA controller. Does it have to be bootable? Can you put the Brand and Model number of one known to work if linking to the item doesnt work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.