Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi-I have a hp pavillion model: a6863w, the monitor is an hp w2338h. 3 wks ago I turned it on and before windows completely loads, monitor reads input signal out of range, reset to 1920x1080-60hz. I tried resetting it from the monitor manually, reset to factory settings, neither works. Monitors goes to sleep and screen turns off, monitor lights goes from blue to amber-yellow. The only way I can use my computer is in safe mode with networking. My system is 3 yrs old, what caused it suddenly to stop working? I tried loading updates from this sight, but none of the normal things update or load in safe mode. I also tried resetting monitor in safe mode, once I try to go back to regular mode, it resets back to 640 x 480-59hz automatically. In safe mode there is not a 1920x1080 mode, so I set it to 1024x768 as my instructions says but still resets itself back in regular mode to 640x480-59hz. I need my computer for work, also cannot do system restore to an earlier point in safe mode. Please help me...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have a suggestion, Kenneth. I know you're being assisted by an expert, but if you will, I might have a method since your card is an NVIDIA.

Right click your desktop > go to Nvidia control panel > from here find on the left panel the menu option "Change resolution" > and note what resolution is highlighted in the panel under the "resolution" heading.

If the resolution is lower than 1920x1080, try changing it to your desired resolution and see what happens.

[Side Note] You may also want to check the documentation of your display to verify that it is capable of native 1080p and not an "upscaled" 1080i. Many monitors were labeled this way a few years back with a native resolution of 720p.

If this is not the case for you, we are likely experiencing a driver and/or hardware issue.

Try using another wire for your display. Many new games and home video are HDCP certified and require an HDMI cable for proper HD playback. This isn't always true, but it won't hurt to try.

If your drivers are updated, your monitor has no issues and your 660 is in good standing, we can try setting a custom resolution within the Nvidia Control Panel.

To do this just navigate to the Nvidia control panel I described earlier, but now hit the menu option labeled "adjust desktop size and position"

adjust desktop.png

Use the values you see in the image above for each field. Also note at the bottom what resolution is displayed here as your current orientation. 

From here go to "change resolution" under the display heading on the left. If 1920x1080 is not displayed as a resolution option in the window under "resolution", click "customize" below it.

customize.jpg

After clicking this button another window will pop-up with a button at the bottom of this window labeled "create custom resolution." 

After clicking this you should see the following. 

set custom.jpg

Use the values you see here for each field available. Leave the timing also at automatic and hit "test" at the bottom. The screen should go blank and restart with the resolution you set. If it is successful you should see no artifacts or blinking from the monitor. Say yes to the prompt and back out.

At this point you can set your monitor to the resolution of 1080p from any control panel (windows screen resolution or from the nvidia control panel) without a problem.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286331

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

1) Install the latest video driver for your PC's onboard video solution. 

Aspen backplane.png

2) Have you tried installing a PCI Express x16 graphics card? That is likely to resolve the issue.

3) Have you tried another display to see if the error message does not happen? That will isolate the issue to either the display or the video out from your PC.

That particular error message is normally caused by an input problem to the display. 

-erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thank-you for your reply, this link was for a different system, but had some good info, my system is working again, thaks for your help!
HP Recommended
Thank-you for your reply, it helped, tried another monitor, got same message, kept trying to reset, finally opened in regular mode, reset to 1920 x 1080 60hz. Thank-you for your help1
HP Recommended

I had this same problem tonight with my hp2009m monitor when I hooked another computer to it and tried the same thing to fix it, essentiallly with the same results. That computer is a Windows XP version. I pressed f8 during startup and instead of selecting Safe Mode, I scrolled down a little further and selected "Enable VGA Mode" (or something similar to that wording). Unlike when I started in Safe Mode, this selection allowed me to reset the computer to the monitor's native resolution. (In Safe Mode, that resolution was missing.)

This is where I found the information:

Enable VGA Mode

I hope this helps someone. It took me over two hours to find this solution.

HP Recommended

My desktop worked fine for 6 wks., having the same problem again. Went online to hp forums and read a reply to my problem, (student posted) said to press F8 at start-up start in low resolution-I pressed last successful start or something similar and now seems to be working fine, but I don't want to continue starting with f8. Does anyone have a permanet solution to this problem? Thank-you so very much for your help.

Liz Love

HP Recommended

I have an HP ENVY Phoenix and a 2311 Monitor, running Windows 8.

Mostly trouble free

However when I try to run Risen 2 (under Steam) I get the normal black screen with the box saying

"Input signal out of range.  Change setting to 1920 x 1080 - 60Hz"

My Monitor is set to this resolution and my video driver has been upgraded to the latest version. 

IT'S A NVidia 660

I can hear some sound from Risen2 but nothing else

Help

HP Recommended

Hello KennethParker

You’re getting a message input signal out of range.

In Steam right click Risen 2 in the library. Select Properties

Click set Launch options.

Enter -refresh rate 60

Also go to display settings.

Select advanced settings.

Click the monitor tab and make sure the Hz is set to 60.

You may also try a lower resolution.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Set as you suggested.

Still getting Input Signal Out of Range

1820 x 1080 is my monitors native resolution.

using GeForce 660 card.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.