Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 20
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My old hard drive crashed I think. I replaced the hard drive on my all-in-one and when I turn it on, I get the message 'no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed'  .  I want to install Win 7 but when I put that into the CD drive, it won't boot.   Is there something else I need to wake up the hard drive? Thanks for any advice! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hpuser101248, welcome to the forum.

You should go into the BIOS and set the CD drive as 1st boot if it isn't already done.  This should make it boot to the drive.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice. I went into BIOs as you suggested, changed to boot order to "USB floppy/CD" from the menu.  Hit enter.  Then went to Storage>Config.  But when I hit Enter, it goes back to F10/Accept again.   Should I have a disk other than Windows 7 in the CD drive?  All I have is a Windows 7 disk.   Is there something else I need to have there?  A boot disk? (which I don't have - how would I get one?).  Thank you!

HP Recommended

@hpuser101248

You didn't provide details on the model PC, but if it is a new one that came with Win10 preinstalled, I would advise AGAINST forcing a Win7 installation, because in all likelyhood, there would be no HP Win7 drivers for it, and that will lead to problems after the Win7 installation.

Also, any Win7 DVD from Microsoft is a bootable disk, so you insert it and boot from it to do the OS installation.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.