Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello: My computer is a Pavilion a850y Pentium 4HT 3.8 MHz, just installed a new sata hard drive and tried to install Windows XP Home Edition. During the start of the install, right after the drivers loaded I got the following Message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If the screen appears again, follow these steps..

The Bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your vendor or visit http:www,hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during next mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue installation.

Technical information: ***STOP:0x000000A5 (0x00000011,0x00000004,0x00000000,0x0000000)

Well, pressing F7 just stopped the install again at a blue screen with "Windows Setup" on the screen.

The only BIOS upgrade found on HP site needs Windows running to install.

My BIOS IS:  BIOS Revision 3,10 11/12/04  Core version 08.00.10  

Computer Product # PU005AV  S/N MXP450048D  Service ID: PU005AV-PU008AV

The only thing that was ever updated on this computer is the memory. The old hard drive is gone. I've tried another new hard drive with the same results. The installation of Windows XP justs stops after drivers load.

Anyone know where to get an update for the BIOS I can load from cd or floppy without Windows running?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

CDB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've seen that error before when installing XP after a memory upgrade on Pavilion desktop. At the time, I just removed the extra memory and installed XP, then reinstalled the memory.

Odd thing is, I later installed XP again with no problems leaving the extra memory in.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I've seen that error before when installing XP after a memory upgrade on Pavilion desktop. At the time, I just removed the extra memory and installed XP, then reinstalled the memory.

Odd thing is, I later installed XP again with no problems leaving the extra memory in.

HP Recommended

Window XP doesn't like SATA drives unless you have an OEM XP disk with sata drivers built into it.

I see two options if you don't have an OEM XP installation disk with SATA drivers built into it.

1. Enter the bios and change the sata controller for the hard drives to run in IDE mode.

2. Acquire the correct sata drivers and use nLite to merge the drivers with your existing Windows disk and build a XP installation disk with sata support.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

After removing the RAM memory, I installed only 1 GB chip and was able to get Windows XP loaded. I then finshed installing the drivers that I downloaded from HP sight for this computer, the soud, graphics, ect and it is up and running. However the network driver seems to be the wrong one. Will be back to find that one after posting this. Thanks so much for your help CherylG! You hit the nail on the head!

CDB

HP Recommended

You're welcome, happy to hear you have XP installed. 🙂

For network try:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

HP Recommended
I get problem when install Windows 8 at my laptop error massage BIOS_ACPI_error.
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP FORUM.

> Re: " BIOS Not ACPI Compliant " Error message installing Windows XP - Pavilion a850y

> I get problem when install Windows 8 at my laptop error message BIOS_ACPI_error.

Instead of adding your problem to this "solved" problem from over SIX YEARS AGO,
please delete your posting, and open a "new" problem.

In it, please give the manufacturer and model-number of your laptop.
Report is you trying to reinstall Windows 8 from a DVD-disk that came with the computer,
or if are you trying to use the "System Recovery" partition on your disk-drive?

HP Recommended

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.