Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Error Message: 
"USB device over current status detected. System will shut down in 15 seconds"

HP Pavilion Elite m9400f

AMD Phenom Quad Core

Win 7 Home Premium w/Service Pack 1

8GB (4 slots, 2GB each) DDR2 Memory

Computer worked fine, never had an issue until I used Driver Detective to install a graphics (Radeon Catalyst I think).  Suddenly got this error message.  I am very computer literate, but have never seen this error message or heard of anyone getting it.  Now when I turn on the computer I get the HP Invent splash screen, but it hangs there and won't boot into Windows so I can't even get to safe mode to uninstall the offending driver update, and of course I can't get to the Rovovery Console either.  Tried using recovery disks-no go.  there is no sound (although there is slight vibration) coming from the hard drive.  I'm worried the "over current" has fried either my hard drive or Motherboard or both.   Say it isn't so...Help!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Disconnect all USB devices, memory cards and hubs except the keyboard and mouse.  Plug the keyboard and mouse into the back USB ports and give it a go.

If you get the same issue then move the mouse to a front port.

If the above doesn't work then use a flashlight can look closely into each back and front USB port for a bent pin.

Another thing to try is to open up the PC, find the USB cables going to a motherboard and header, remove one cable (marking where it was remove from) and then boot up and see if the issue persists.  do the same procedure for each USB cable going to the motherboard.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I got this same error message. Freaked me right out since I never had this happen to me before. I had this webcam connected to the front of the computer when the Gmail chat went goofy on me, I restarted the computer with the **bleep** thing still connected when that message came up. can't get it to do anything, no keyboard staying on. So...guess I'l try to disconnect the front usb since that's where it came up & see if it will startup normal/ at one point I did let it sit at the HP startup and it went through the whole system check but the usb got in the way & that error came up again. BTW....I threw that webcam in the trash!!

HP Pavillion slimline S5213W

windows 7 premium ed.

HP Recommended
Yay! It's fixed. It was definitely the front USB and that webcam is still in the trash. That's what I get for using something from a yard sale that was old. Of course it could have been coincidental.
HP Recommended

how did you get your fixed because i unpluged my keyboardwhile the computer was shutting off and my keyboard isnt coming on so i cnt press enter to continue to log in so i am stucck at the hp blue screen and tht message always pops up can youplease send me step by step instruction on how to fix it at my email {Personal Information Removed}
i really need help ps my mouse works in all usb ports i checked for dents and things also and i did the leave unplug everything except for the keyboard and mouse

HP Recommended
Thank you very much for the nice comments you can email me the code I'm grateful
HP Recommended

Hi everyone i have the same problem with my PC:

Asus p5q se plus 

intel core2duo e7200 2.53 3M

4x1 GB ram ddr2 

Asus EAH HD 4670 1gb 

i dont have a fron panel of USB so i had the problem with the back panel that is integrated on motherboard

yesterday  i disconnect all the cables from the motherboard and disconect all the drives too. i gett of the batety too i let it with out batery about 2H or 3H than i put the batery i tried it but the same problem so i took another graphic card and ATI Radeo 2400HD it worked fine.than i put the ASUS HD 4670 it worked fine but when i connected the drives the sistem was in there but it doesnt start so u will need to format the disc..

so all u need is to remove all the cables,drives,cards and put it again.. i took of the cpu too i cleaned the case so it worked for me hope it helps you too :generic:

HP Recommended

My computer had been saying "USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds"

But before that whenever I turn it on it just goes to the main screen & stays there for awhile. It shuts down, I also know that it has a virus. Is it a good idea to delete everything ? Will it solve the problem ?

Model (s5213w)
Prod# (NY646AA#ABA)
SN [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended
It changed & goes to a Phoenix award BIOS OOPG copyright first then
" USB device over current detected, please remove over-current USB device" what should I do ?
HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  But I managed to fix it.  All i had to do was open up the computer and remove a fan and the power block and disconnected the front usb port. it took a while but it work. Hopes this helps 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.