Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi.... i need to replace the power supply on my HP Compaq 8000 elite pc, and i am very confused as it is very different than any other standard mobo...need help connecting the cables on my new PSU:

1- The mobo does not have a standard 24 or 20+4 pin for the main power, and my PSU has them! it seems the mobo is connected with the psu through a 6 pin PCI express cable for main power? is that correct? could i connect the new psu with the mobo through the PCI -E power cable tp provide main power and not use the 20+4 cable at all?

2- there is a mysterious 6 pin cable connected to the mobo that is labeled P2. is this the aux power cable?, my new psu does not have this cable, is it necessary to connect this cable to the mobo or not?

3- all the peripherals (HDD and DVD rom) on my pc seem to be connected from the mobo and not the psu. should i keep this configuration or disconnect the cables between the mobo and these devices and connect directly from the new psu?

4- if my new psu will work (assuming there is no need for the aux 6 pin cable which my new psu doesnt have)), please confirm there are only two cables to connect between the psu and the mobo which are the PCI express 6 pin to provide main power and the 4 pin CPU power cable  and not use the 20+4 power cable? also advise if to connect the peripherals (HDD and DVD rom) directly from the new psu or keep the curect configuration (which is, all these devices draw their power thru cables from the mobo) in which case the SATA connectors from my new PSU will not be used? 

your urgent assistance is highly appreciated as i need to do this fast. please anyone help!!!!

thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

This is your motherboard and everything this is labeled nicely.  This is not your standard ATX or microATX motherboard.

It appears that everything is powered off the motherboard.  You may need to get some Y adapter cables to connect up the standard ATX power supply unless these are already on the cables from your old power supply and they are removeable and can be used on the new power supply.

Powering everything off the motherboard has its limitation as usually the motherboard has a maximum wattage rating.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

thank you very much, i,ve been looking all over the web for this!!!

ok, so my question is

1- the "PWR: MAIN POWER CONNECTOR", is this the same as a PCI-E 6 pin power cable or not?

2- the "PWR CMD: POWER CONNECTOR" is this the same as the 6 pin aux power cable? and do i really need this connected if the mobo is having enough power from the new PSU?

3- can i disconnect the drives (HDD and DVD rom that are connected to SATA PWR0 AND SATA PWR 1) from the motherboard and power them using the SATA cables from the new PSU? and by doing this decrease the wattage usage from the motherboard?

I would really appreciate you help!!

thanks a lot....

HP Recommended

I am not sure how the bios will react if power is not present on the power connectors if you cable your drives directly.  It's something you could try.

You might have to measure the voltages coming from the connectors of the old power supply.  This link may also help.

Power supply connectors.  If you know where all the connectors are coming and going to from your old power supply then you should be able to determine what is required.

Usually the 6 pin PCI-E connector is used for video cards on the new power supplies.  A lot of the newer power supplies don't have the 4 pin square cpu power connector but should should be able to get an adapter if necessary. 

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
atually the new psu has the 4 pin square cpu connector so that is not a problem. The problem is with the main power connector, i think if it werent PCI E then the PCI E cables from my new psu wouldnt fit, which it did, i tried. Now for the real problem, this white cable that is labelled CMD PWR, i have no idea what this is and what should replace it in the new psu or even maybe i dont need it if i directly connect the drives from the psu. Any way i have emailed hp and requested their help to identlify this cable.
HP Recommended

The cmd power maybe is coming from the power switch? Probably not.  Did that link on power supply connectors help any?  You might want to contact your new power supply manufacturer for help.

HP Recommended

yes the link helped thnx...

the only thing that resembles that white cmd pwr is the auxiliary six pin power cable. but it says that it's an ancient cable that nobody uses anymore!!

I am still waiting for HP's reply as to what exactly it is, if it's actually the auxiliary cable thing, my concern is that i will not find a suitable adapter.

and if it's not the auxiliary cable, and its some kind of a proprietary cable only for HP then that is even worse, coz then i don't know what to do?? :Crying:

HP Recommended

I have a new problem, I just tried to mount the new PSU into the case and it doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the original PSU is more square shaped and the new one (like all other normal PSUs on the PLANET!!) is more rectangular, the screws do not align to enable me fit it in!!!

i am seriously regretting getting this HP PC! i had ACER and Samsung PCs before and i should have bought a similar one instead of having to deal with all of this.

now there's $800 down the drain! :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

i want to return this device and get a refund, can someone please fill me in on HP's policy in that department?? i called the retailer today and demanded that and he said he will have to check and revert back! i don't want to get my hopes up!!! 

HP Recommended

smn_1010, how you solve problem with 6 pin aux power cable? Disconnect it? 
And main power connector is the same as a PCI-E 6 pin power cable or not? 

I have the same problem... :( 

Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.