Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I knew I wasn't the only one! I've seen similar posts to ours on other boards.  There's clearly something weird with the settings of this board, most likely the HP Bios.   One weird thing is that HP has updates for BIOS for some builds but not others, wouldn't the same motherboard qualify for the same BIOS regardless of OS, and other hardware configs?

To the previous HP person - I was not being condescending.  Stop taking this personally!  We're just looking for help and this is our ONLY avenue now that HP no longer accepts phone calls OR email OR chat assistance after warranty is up.  

I was asking again about the clearing CMOS because I followed directions and nothing happened.  So to be clear - are these directions accurate for this mobo???

To previous poster - I have now tried about 10 different memory sticks (my friend owns a repair shop).  2 have worked, both 10600 - but they cause PC to crash intermittently (the memory tests fine!).  I have tried 10600 and 8500 from crucial - they list both for this mobo and neither worked at all (beep code)!  So more lost money in return postage (ugh!).  So I'm back to the one working original HP 10600 stick but W7 barely runs on 2GB.  If I don't get a solution soon I'm just going to have to dump this PC and get with another brand.  At this point almost every single hardware piece has been replaced (in warrant and out!).  In face I think the only original component that has survived normal use is the case.  😛

HP Recommended

Hello?  Anybody gonna answer any of our questions? BUMP!

HP Recommended

HP lists two different specs.  Here is a link to the actual shipped specs that we all have:

S5150t / Ipiel-LA3 specs

HP Recommended

We've given upon that machine and have swapped in a spare. It's very poor support from HP, we're business users and have a dozen HP machines (and a load of HP servers) and this is the only model we've had trouble with.

We'll recycle it for an admin user, it's not up to much else without the memory upgrade now.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I am disappointed this thread ended with no resolution, I am having exactly the same problem, on exactly the same machine.

I visited crucial to upgrade memory, downloaded their memory advisor, bought the same memory at amazon and now the machine won't boot. short beep. long beep.

A better way to make this and other customers happy would be an HP representative researching the problem, talking to the engineers, and resolving it, not making commentary about frustrated customers comments.

Hey HP, throw us a bone, okay?

HP Recommended

Hello All,

I too have this configuration and problem. I have bought two different sets of RAM one from B&H and one from OEMMEMORY.COM, wish I read this thread before I accused both companied of selling me bad ram, now I will have to e-mail them back and apologize. 

So, I have access to lots of RAM I can “borrow” and I have a 2 gig stick from Kingston that works in my PC but I took a dozen or so before I found that one. The strange thing is that the working and extremely stable stick of ram has the same specs as the RAM I bought but the RAM I bought doesn’t work. I have an old bios but none of the bios I can find will run on my system. I have the same problem as the original person on this thread, so did anybody find a valid bios for update and did it even help? Also, on a side note I don’t think the HP support tech should have been offended since there is a real problem here and the user was just trying to provide as much information as possible.

HP Recommended
Where did you find the BIOS?
HP Recommended

You can find various BIOS versions floating around on HP Support websites for different model Slimline PC's.  They all used the same mobo but they had different BIOS versions depending on model.  That's why you can't update the 5150t to these later versions because they "might" make things worse.  I think we have a case here where HP just decided they're not going to support a product and then when customers ask basic questions they give them a hard time.  

As for the specific ram, I think they used a very specific module that isn't made anymore, and they are just assuming we don't know what we're talking about so they just keep directing us to Crucial.com.  It is clearly a mobo Bios issue that only accepts a very specific flavor of ram.  I've tried MANY memory sticks now and some work but only for a while, they are unstable and it is probably a odd combination of timings that was accepted for this board.

Too bad because I used to like HP.  Will never buy from them again! I've been thinking about dropping a BBB complaint against them for falsely supporting a product until people are out of warranty and then abandoning them.

HP Recommended

I think you are right, having done some more research, I believe the system uses 1066MHz ram (which  is actually 1066.666666....., which rounded up equals 1067) ant not 1333MHz ram. This is odd because ususaly MACs use that flavor of ram. Can't wait to get home and look up the specs on the kingston ram that I got working in there, since it's performance has been rock solid for a week now. 

HP Recommended

Dr, 

Yeah post the specs/model number if you have something working.  How many Gigs/sticks are you using?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.