Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi.

Ever since i upgraded to Win 10 whenever I log off and the computer goes into sleep the screen is dim when I wake it up. It's fine after I restart it buy it does it everytime. I have checked for driver updates and can't find any. Any ideas? It's a Pavilion 23 all in one.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

I have been having exactly the same problem with my Pavilion 23.

HP Recommended

Me too! I've googled around but cannot find a solution. I hope someone can help with this.

HP Recommended

@aplgc has found a workaround.  Thank you, aplgc.

"Futher testing has given me a reasonable work-around until a new display driver can be distributed.

I have changed the the keyboard sleep button action to HIBERNATE.    {control panel} {power options} {edit plan settings} {change advanced power settings}  under {power buttons and lid}- select Sleep button action & set to Hibernate.

I have also set the auto sleep timer to a longer time  {1hour). 

So now when I use the keyboard sleep key,  the computer hibernates instead of sleep.   This requires a power button press to resume, but the screen brightness is normal and all is well.     If  an auto sleep has occured and the screen is dim--a hibernate cycle will restore brightness without rebooting.

Hope this works for others".

Source    

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Same exact problem here with Pavilion 23.  No problems before Win 10 upgrade.

HP Recommended

I was having this same issue on my HP laptop and fixed it by enabling my Generic PnP Monitor in device manager...

-  Right click windows logo in lower left corner

-  Select Control Panel

-  In Control Panel select Device Manager

-  In Device Manager, look for Monitors section

-  Mine had Generic PnP Monitor that was disabled with an error

-  I right-clicked that item and selected Enable

-  If yours is already enabled, right click and disable it and then right click again and enable it

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

None of these solutions have worked for me and I am really tired of this issue. I would not have upgraded to Windows 10 if I knew I was going to have to deal with this! I can't even get a screensaver to work on my machine. So I am having to turn my PC off and on all the time to avoid screen burn. 

All I used to have to do was put my PC in sleep mode when it was going to be idle, then wiggle the mouse to bring it back to life. Now if I do that it comes back on but the monitor is always dim so I have to reboot to get the normal screen brightness. Super annoying!

HP Recommended

Finally!!  Thank you for the fix!

HP Recommended

Simple!  It worked.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly to fix the problem for me.  THANK YOU!!!!!  I struggled with this for a couple days.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.