Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Touchsmart 310 that won't power on.

The light on the power brick lights up, and the indicator light on the back of the system lights up.  When I hit the power button, the button itself flashes 3 times, then stops.  The system itself doesn't make any noise, nothing from the hard drive or optical.

The power brick itself is good, I tested it on a 520 we also have and it starts up fine.

So far, I've removed and reseated the hard drive, the optical drive and the RAM, as well as blew out the dust (I figured, while I'm here...) but the same thing keeps happening.

The unit is out of warranty by just over a month, so that's a downer.  Hoping someone here can point me in a direction, cause I'm kind of stumped.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello SierraEchoEcho:

Welcome to the forum.  Please from now include your complete computers information HP Touchsmart 310-???? Windows? I see you have performed some trouble steps your self and already performed the test on your power supply. Check your key board and see if it has any stuck keys mainly that moon botton that gets stuck under the plate. What ever that is for. Try using the remote to turn on the computer to see if the power switch may be the problem. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336130 (Link Updated 04/26/2017) is the link for trouble shooting HP Touchsmart 310-1020 computer will not start up.

It say to contact HP for servicing. Get an estimated cost of repairs before hand because repair cost might be more expensive then just buying another. It protects you from a surprise bill and making a better decision buy a new one or repair the old one. Good Luck. I hope it is a simple thing as a broken wire or blown fuse.frrw

HP Recommended

See my post http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/HP-Touchsmart-310-1100z-Black-Screen-No-HP-logo-or-anythi...

In my case it was the CPU, which I replaced.

The motherboard was getting power and fans worked.

But also check before replacing the CPU:

1)      A USB port with shorted pins (look inside the port).

2)      A bad power supply board (connected to the motherboard).

3)      Blown Capacitor on the motherboard

Let me know how you make out. Mine was out of warranty by 2 months.

HP has Carepacks for out of warranty Touchsmarts. $199.

Anyway good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information,

Frrw

The machine is a TouchSmart 310-1020 w/ Win 7 home premium.

When powering it up I did so with nothing attached, no keyboard/mouse/usb drive and nothing in the optical drive.

When I turn it on, nothing happens.  The fans don't start, there's nothing on the screen, no beeps.  Just the power button flashing 3 times then turning off.  Thought that may be a hardware failure code, but haven't been able to track down any specific information.

I'm curious here, but given the information I provided in my initial post, what difference would the windows version make?  I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult, I'm just curious.

Billy

I checked the USB ports and they all look in good condition, and none of the capacitors looked like they had blown out.  I'm not sure how to tell if the power supply chip is dead, nothing obvious to a visual inspection there, anyway.

Also, the HP carepack, is that essentially an extended warranty?

HP Recommended
Hello SierraEchoEcho:
Good for you yes by all means call HP Direct Support so they can get your computer in for service and repaired. That's their warranty. Saved by the bell cost you nothing. You are welcome Please click on kudos if this resolved your issue. Thank you and most welcome. frrw
HP Recommended

Hi-
Yes the Carepack is an extended warranty you can purchase from HP. 3 weeks ago, before they HP redesigned their website, they had a 2 year carepack specifically for out of warranty HP Touchsmarts, specifically for the 310. Now with the redesigned website I couldnt find it. I remember it was $189 or $199 and was for 2 years from date of purchse, so if you had your Touchsmart for 14 months you get only 10 months of coverage. It had mail in for for problems not resolveable over the phone. It's probably there somewhere on HP's ugly new website.

There was a proviso with the carepack in that it didnt cover existing problems, I think, so if HP knows about your problem you might be out of luck. Read the fine print.

Of course, if your Touchsmart is under 12 months old use the 1 year warranty you have.

Your problem sounds similiar to mine, but I didnt notice the power button light flashing, if it did.

I hate to give a recommendation, but I was forced to I'd say CPU, followed by motherboard, followed by power supply.

Have you taken out and reseated the memory or installed only 1 at a time to see what happens? Probably not the problem, though.

Can you reseat the cpu?

HP Recommended

The reason why your HP touchsmart 310 won't power on might be one of two things. Either it's the video card  or the power supply. If it's the videocard, rather than replace the motherboard, a savy repair shop can replace the videocard by soldering it saving you alot of money.  It sounds like the problem is your powersupply though.  I had the same problem with my HP touchsmart 310. My screen went Black even though the indicator green light on the back  of pc was on. The side poweron button would flash blue a couple of times when presssed, then cut off.  Took it to a pc repair shop for a free of charge diagnostic test  and they said it was the power supply. They sold me a used $50 power supply cord and my HP touchsmart 310 is working great now! 

HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same problem. What was your' result? What parts and costs if u can tell me
HP Recommended
Any result on this, mine did the same 3 months from new but I just chucked it in the shed and left, want to get it going now.
HP Recommended

And if  its not the  cpu  needing  to be  replaced and  our  the  graphics   then   a new motherboard because getting  a tech  to  replace caps can  be   problematic it  better to  replace motherboard but  if  you do so  the cost  of  motherboard  is  not  cheap  then  to get  a  technician  to  rebuild pc so  if  you go  that  route get  a  technician  who  knows  what  he is  doing

thats my  advice  buyer  beware

Our just get  a new  system

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.