Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 20-b020a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I first bought my HP Pavillion several years ago I noticed that occasionally a odd symbol appeareed on the screen. It looked like two small  triangles one on top of the other. I soon found out that when it was operational I could control the rate of scrolling. I never found out how to controll this gizmo but now it is driving me mad. If I happen to be looking at page 400 of a large document, it suddenly takes over and races the page  to the start or end of the document. This may be handy if it is controllable but right now I would love to do something to cancell its mad operations. This forum talks about synaptics but I am loath to enter the driver in case it has nothing to do with the problem. I would appreciate some help here.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bussoite

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 20-b020a All-in-One Desktop PC and due to the auto scroll working so fast through a huge document, it makes it difficult to read. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Are you using the same USB mouse that was shipped with the PC or is it a different mouse?
  • If it's a different mouse, then do you have the drivers for it?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found a few steps in Windows 10 that should help. Please try the below steps:

• Open Settings app. You can either click Settings icon on the left side of the Start menu or use Windows + I hotkey.
  • Click Devices (Bluetooth, printers, mouse).

Enable or Disable Windows 10 inactive window scrolling pic1

• Click Mouse and touchpad to see settings related to them.
  • Finally, turn off the option titled Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them. And if it’s turned off, you can enable the same here.

Enable or Disable Windows 10 inactive window scrolling pic2

Please find the detailed steps in this link: Mouse Features and Settings (Windows 10, 😎

Hope this information is useful. Let me know the results. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you ever so much for your rapid reply. I am sorry to say that the info you gave me didn't help. As I followed your instructions, the data that appeared was not quite the same as you suggested. Perhaps my computer was an earlier or later version than you used. I even tried to snip off my version of the page but it would not let me paste it in. I think my version is much earlier. As a resort if you need it I can copy the snip and send it by direct email. That may help.''In answer to your original question;  no, my mouse is the original hp version as shipped with the computer. Thanks for your help so far - I look forward to any further help uoi may have to offer.

HP Recommended

@bussoite

You're most welcome. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

I suggest you try the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Change the mouse pointer display or speed.

• In the Mouse Properties window, click the Wheel tab.

• Under the Wheel tab, there would be an option to reduce the number of lines while scrolling.

If that option does not appear then let's uninstall the mouse drivers and restart the PC:

Device Manager

• Expand "Mice and other pointing devices."
  • Right click on the mouse drivers listed under "Mice and other pointing devices" and click on Uninstall.
  • Restart the PC and during the restart, the drivers will get reinstalled by Windows.

Hope this helps. Let me know what happens. Thank you again!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.