Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP m8517c with vista 64 is there a driver that would allow me to upgrade to windows 7, 8 or 10?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Normally Windows 7 will run OK on a Vista PC.  You can run the Windows Upgrade advisor to check.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Take a look at the Windows 10 advisor here

http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-10-upgrade-advisor/

Keep in mind, it is not a free upgrade for any of those.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@smokey11999

Some things to consider regarding "upgrading" to a newer OS ...

1) Drivers -- HP does not supply any Win7 drivers for your PC, and while Vista drivers SHOULD work, there is no guarantee.  If they don't work, you're then likely stuck with a PC that will not fully function, since then you would be having to rely on the generic drivers that Microsoft installs from the "upgrade".

2) Applications -- your Vista apps should work without problems on Win7, and if there are issues, you should be able to get updated versions that work OK.  But ... the farther you get away from Vista, the less likely your apps will work, and the less likely you'll be able to upgrade them without completely replacing them.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

> 1) Drivers -- HP does not supply any Win7 drivers for your PC ...

True - HP's web-site does not supply any device-drivers for Windows 7.

But, there is a possibility that HP had supplied the device-drivers to Microsoft, and Microsoft merged those updates into the Windows 7 Installation Media, or Microsoft now makes the updates available via Windows Update.

Until you install Windows 7, you won't know if the latter statement is true.

Note that you can install Windows 7 *WITHOUT* entering a 25-character product-key.

Windows will work for 30 days -- long enough for you to see if it works with your hardware.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  How do I  install Windows 7 *WITHOUT* entering a 25-character product-key.

HP Recommended

I believe it can still do an install without the product key, however it is only a 30 day trial.  Keep in mind I stated earlier "Keep in mind, it is not a free upgrade for any of those.

Just tell it to proceed without the key.  As far as Windows 8 or Windows 10, I think you might be able to do a 30 trial with Windows 10, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

> How do I  install Windows 7 *WITHOUT* entering a 25-character product-key.

Boot from the Windows 7 CD.

When it asks for the product-key, just click "Next".

To repeat, it will work for 30 days.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.