Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

g'day ~ I am planning to upgrade my e6300 dual core to a q6600 quad core cpu

these are both 1066mhz front side bus , and same lga772 socket

does anyone know if I can go for a faster cpu that runs on a 1333mhz FSB ?

any info much appreciated !

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

What's deficient about the E6300? 

HP Recommended

Nothing is really deficient, just want to upgrade from dual core to quad core.

Ya know, kind of like upgrading from a honda to a corvette

HP Recommended

Don't get wrapped up into the quad core hype.  I have a single core, dual core, and quad core rigs.  Guess which one is my default PC?  Single core Opteron 146 @ 3.0GHz (1GB RAM).  Under normal use, there is almost zero difference in speed between single core and quad core.  You want technical data?  Boot time is 26 sec with single core, and 23 sec with quad core (XP Pro).  The biggest gain that I see with the quad is video encoding.  A 12 hour task could drop to 4 with the overclocked quad.

Very little application today is coded for quad-core operation.  A dual core PC is plenty fast for the average user.  If you can't think of a specific application that's lagging with your current rig, then you don't need to invest in a quad core CPU.

Want another myth-buster session? 

Why do PC vendors put 6 to 8GB of RAM on the board?  Because RAM is cheap...easy method to boost profit margin.  Un-informed users think that more RAM = faster PC.  That's true to a point.  Vista will normally use up to about 2GB of RAM.  A power user may approach 3.5GB.  The extra un-used RAM don't do anything to improve system performance.  They use more electricity, add more heat, and take longer to boot.  And don't forget the additional hit to your wallet.

HP Recommended

ok ok i see your points, and will hold off on the QC until i get into more heavy video work...  thanks for saving me the $2-300.

anyway we did get off track a bit here, my question really was can i stuff a processor with a 1333MHz FSB into my existing socket (775 with 1066MHz FSB processor) ???

I did not see anything in my BIOS or on HPs website that would indicate a means to change this frequency,or if the MB could support either.

this MB is factory, so, unlike  other  motherboards out there,there's no apparent way to overclock anyway.

HP Recommended

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163...

These are all small form factor towers? Yours one of these? I would be concerned with heat. The smaller the tower the the bigger the concern for over heating.

Yep, having problems programing parallelisms on dual cores let alone quads. Does your PC run the 64 bit OSs? This might be a better choice.

Free for Vista PCs (maybe for XP but I haven't looked😞

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx

Your dual core would need to support x64 bit OSs. Run the up grade advisor. This only apply to over the counter purchases of the OS if you bought it with a PC it does not apply.

Or you might conceder Vista UltimateVista Business or XP Business, maybe. If you buy one of these you also get the 64 bit if you request it.

HP Recommended

My pc is the tower model

and I am running vista ultimate with 3GB RAM

I was thinking about going to 64-bit, as I have the dvd for vista home premium 64-bit, but do NOT relish the idea of reinstalling EVERY-bloody-thing

do you have any input on the FSB question ?

HP Recommended
FSB is irrelevant.  If BIOS support the chip, then it will work.  Only way to know for sure is to try.  Also note that that board may POST, but without full BIOS support, the CPU may not be able to use Speedstep.
HP Recommended

Intel chips are quad-pumped.  1066MHz FSB = 266MHz CPU.  1333MHz = 333MHz CPU.  I have yet to come across an Intel 1066 LGA 775 board that cannot run at 333MHz after a BIOS update!  There are three main factors that determine 333MHz FSB speed...

1).  CPU.  Most value Intel chips start at 200MHz and can be overclocked up to about 270MHz FSB.  A few 6XXX processors can hit +500MHz or 2000MHz FSB!  Now you're scratching your head.  Say what?  But the Intel spec is only 1333MHz?  Read on if you want to get smart.

2).  RAM.  The lowest permissible memory divider for LGA 775 board is 1:1.  Therefore, to run at 333MHz, the RAM must also be able to crack the 333MHz barrier.  Since one cannot overclock memory on an HP board, one must make sure that the RAM is JEDEC compliance (1.8V with 5-5-5-18 timing).

3).  Motherboard.  Even the bargain 1066MHz ECS motherboard is capable of 333MHz speed.  Since overclocking an ECS board is quite limited via the BIOS (no FSB adjustment or FSB adjustment limited to 266MHz), PC enthusiasts will do a "pin mod" (shunting some pins on the CPU with electrically conductive paint) to change the internal FSB of the CPU from 266MHz to 333MHz!  This effectively bypass the need of the BIOS to support a 333MHz chip.

If a MB is rated for 1066MHz operation, then it is also capable of 1333MHz FSB.  This is a market scam by Intel to get people to fork over more $ for a "higher FSB chip".  The extra 66MHz can easily be accomplished by rasing the CPU multiplier, say 8x to 10x.  Core speed is KING.  The higher FSB speed and RAM speed will only improve performance by 1.5%!

CPU #1...2.66GHz or 333MHz FSB x 8 multiplier

CPU #2...2.66GHz or 266MHz FSB x 10 multiplier

HP Recommended

Ahhhh, a refreshing,cogent and informative response.

cheers!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.