Note on archived topics.
04-29-2017 10:21 AM
when i push the power button it does not light up. the computer starts but only the fan works (low at first then becomes loud)
04-30-2017 02:27 PM - edited 04-30-2017 02:44 PM
Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. :). I understand that you need assistance regarding booting up your computer. I will be really glad to assist you here. :)
Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. :) You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. :)
- Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
- Did you make any hardware changes to the computer such as installing new memory modules or a hard drive recently?
- Please let me know the complete model# of the computer and the operating system used.
- Is the power button lit on the desktop and the back of the tower?
For a start please perform these steps.
- Please perform a hard reset on the computer by clicking here and try to fire up the computer.
- If it does work, please click here for further troubleshooting and follow all the prescribed steps in the option "The computer starts, but the monitor is blank or unresponsive" to try and resolve the issue.
- If the issue continues, then the computer has a hardware issue and needs to be serviced. As this is an older computer and has been retired, please contact any local technician such as Best Buy or Staples to get it serviced.
Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care now and have a superb week ahead. :)
I am an HP Employee