Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I know what you mean. For me, I’ve used Omen for a while now. I had the baseline mouse and keyboard which work a treat, and I can’t fault the PC build or the monitor, so I feel good with my setup and and impressed with the performance. I’m disappointed with the performance of the Photon but in the grand scheme of things, I’m still happy with Omen gear.

If you can hold out a little longer, I’ve been in touch with HP support (basically on the phone to them every day), and they’re escalating the problem directly to the engineers. I’ve had to send in video and images of various things, so I’m building quite the case. They’ve been made fully aware that the driver on the Photon support page is for a different mouse and is not compatible with ours. Fingers crossed that they deliver on a solution soon. In the meantime I’ll continue to pester them!

Hang tough!

HP Recommended

That's awesome! Hope is renewed on my end. Between starting a business, working full time, and being a full time student, there's no way I would've had time for all of that. Let me know what ultimately fixes it, I really want to keep the photon!

HP Recommended

Hi, I just want to keep this thread alive, as I have the exact same issue.

Just bought my Omen Photon a couple days ago, and the lag/jumping cursor/randomly slow dpi issue was immediate. Also, only in wireless mode, as with the OP.

I've tried every solution suggested here (and everywhere else I could find). Trying different USB ports, changing mousepads, uninstalling Gaming Hub, updating the driver (though the only driver I could find on the site was from 2016, and not even for this exact model - strange).

I'm really hoping for a solution, as the mouse is otherwise amazing in terms of comfort and looks. Fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

Welcome to the thread... although it's a welcome on disappointing terms!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while but nothing as yet has been solved; to give you all/external viewers an update;

Have been going back and forth every day with HP Support and I'm being helped out by a very attentive and patient Support Rep.

These are my following problems;

1) Mouse drags, lags and jumps at random intervals.

2) Sometimes mouse takes a few seconds to respond after I haven't used it for a while. I'm not too worried about it, but it has also happened in-game (which caused me a fatality... I want my compensation HP! 😂)

These were my own troubleshooting attempts;

1) Could be radio interference from another receiver - Tried every available USB port, including the one on the HP Outpost Mousepad, which is at a 90cm distance from my PC. Although the issues seem to have 'quietened down', they're still there, and it's still not right.

2) Windows update - up to date. HP updates - up to date.

Instructions from HP so far;

1) Basically all what I did above.

2) Download driver from HP Omen Photon Mouse page... as others have said it's a driver for a different mouse and is obsolete when it comes to the Photon.

3) Manually uninstall and reinstall USB Root Hubs. Reinstall chipset drivers.

4) Download Intel Driver & Support Assistant and apply automatic updates... none of which were required as my system is completely up to date.

Of course, as you all predicted, nothing has changed with the performance of the mouse.

They have now told me that they want me to check it on another computer to see if there is a problem (why check when there are countless others who have complained about the same thing on different systems???). Then they want me to reinstall Windows 10 (once again, countless others have done it to no avail). I'm really not keen on reinstalling the OS as it's working beautifully with everything and anything else! Furthermore, I don't have an external hard drive to perform a full system backup, so unless HP want to provide one I'm quite reluctant. 

That's where I'm at so far. I'll keep you updated when I can if anything changes 🙂

HP Recommended

So HP came to the conclusion that the mouse was faulty, which doesn't seem at all like the case. They sent me a new mouse and a expected , it's performing exactly the same as the old one. I'm still in touch with them to find out what the next step is. Will post when I get more news!

HP Recommended

Mikus you are the man! I'm pretty excited as I feel like they can't run you around much longer without providing a real solution. I also have tried reinstalling my OS 3 times to fix this to no avail, so don't let them trick you into thinking that's the issue. I almost wonder if it has something to do with running the full setup... Considering the only people who have this issue also have all Omen everything. I'm still holding out on buying a new mouse! 

I really don't want to go outside Omen unless I have to, I love the aesthetic of the full setup. 

Question for you and anyone else here: When I boot my computer up, 9 times out of ten I don't have any cursor until I unplug and plug my mouse back in. Has anyone else been dealing with this on top of the other issue?

HP Recommended

Having the exactly the same issue as all others in this tread. Similarly, it started doing this in the first week.

Its works fine wired in (what I've had to resort to). But basically, HP - your product is flawed when it comes to the wireless aspect. The fact that a solution that hasn't come in software (and the fact HP have stopped replying to this tread) says to me, the issue is at the hardware level. 

Also - the point about, 1 out of 10 times, the mouse doesn't move and you have to unplug. Have that too. Although interestingly, it doesn't do this to the non HP laptop I also use this mouse and keyboard with. 

HP - if you're still reading this, how about getting one of your actually IT technicians to reply to it, rather then let the customer care team take the 'flack'? This is clearly an issue many people are experiencing, the question is - how did you let this happen? Why was this not resolved in testing? 

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Just got off the phone to HP again. They took me through the following instructions which have seemed to work, but I'll be checking the performance for a few days as I told the Technical Support (2 mins into writing this post... cursor lag -____-);

1) Run Powershell as Admin

2) Run the following command;

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {​Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}​​​​​​​​

3) Go to HP computing support (Official HP® Laptop & Desktop Computer Support)

4) Input your OMEN PC serial number

5) Click 'Software, Drivers and Firmware'

6) Click 'All Drivers'

7) Click 'Driver-Chipset'

😎 Download the most up to date chipset (for me it was the Jan 6, 2021 version)

9) Run and install

10) Shut down. Hold power button for 20 seconds then release to re-boot.

11) According to HP, this should solve the problem. Once again, I don't think so!

Let me know if you guys have any success (fingers crossed for you all!)

@Gamer_in_Oregon I haven't noticed any problem with the mouse not responding when I boot up... seems a real strange one! Do you keep it turned off and then turn it on again? I've noticed that if my mouse is idle when I go off to do something, sometimes I have to turn it off and back on again for it to become responsive, but that's all I can think of... as the days go on I'm pretty shocked that the mouse has been released in the state that it's in!

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

HP have once again been on the phone to diagnose the issue with instructions from the engineering team. After much searching through remote access, the Technical Assistant couldn't find the mouse driver on my PC, the driver which apparently the engineering team have in use.

She is passing various screenshots along with more of my video evidence to the engineering team, and hopefully they will be able to send me a direct download link to their driver software (I still don't know why the driver download hasn't been updated on the Photon HP support page?!).

That's all I know so far. The waiting game is never a fun game, but I can't say that HP aren't at least trying to solve the problem, albeit I feel I'm repeating myself over and over to a different Technician every time! 😅

Updates to follow! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

Some bad news, HP have basically swept this problem under the carpet. I phoned them once again to check what they were doing, and they simply said that there was nothing further that they could do and then offered me a refund. I spent a good ten minutes with the agent asking how I could elevate this and he told me that it's already at the highest level, and that 'the engineers tested the problem and couldn't find the problem so....'. A ridiculous statement and a pathetic  excuse from HP.

I'm going to see if I can elevate this further by calling different agents et cetera. Really bad on their part, and I'm quite shocked that they've simply rolled over and been like 'well here's your money. Don't worry about it.'

Something that could potentially work for those of you that also have the Outpost Mousepad; On my Omen I only have 2 USB-C ports on  the front for easy access. Not only would this look horrible by keeping something constantly plugged in there, but the cable simply won't reach. I had the mousepad plugged in via 2 USB 3.0 ports, with the mouse received for the Proton plugged into the back of the mousepad. This was fine, but it didn't give the full lighting effect which specifically requires a USB-C connection, nor did it correct the mouse lag/jump problem, but I have to admit it improved it.

I bought a USB PCIe card to add to my setup (specifically this one; Inateck RedComets U21, PCIe to USB 3.2 Gen 2 Card with 20 Gbps bandwidth, 3 USB Type-A and 2 USB Typ...), and I have to say it's worked a treat. Not only does it give me full power to the mousepad but I haven't yet (touch wood) seen and lagging or jumping from my mouse!

Could this be the problem? Could it simply be that the mouse requires a faster/better receiver? Although I'm still using the USB 3.0 receiver that's plugged into the Outpost mousepad, technically it's sending and receiving data a lot quicker via the USB-C.... unless I'm completely wrong in my idea!

Anyway, that's me signing off for now. Good luck to everyone with the problem and I'm sorry I can't be the bearer of better news!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.