Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Everything worked until about 3 weeks ago. In steamVR, in seated "universe" games the HMD loses tracking and displays a grey screen. Mixed reality portal, steam house, standing "universe" games all work perfectly.

Reached out to steam support and they provided this: "A grey screen like you describe does generally mean there is a problem with tracking, but since you're using a Windows Mixed Reality headset, the tracking is handled by the Windows Mixed Reality portal in this case. The WMR portal passes through the room setup and tracking information to SteamVR (using the WMR for SteamVR plugin)."

I suspect there is an issue with the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" plugin not passing the seated tracking data to steamVR. Again, all standing games perform normally. HOWEVER, could the recent HP reverb g2 headset firmware update have introduced this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Resolved. Here is the solution:

"With the headset connected, in device manager (enabling hidden devices), uninstall and delete the drivers (package) under Display adapter (Graphic Card), Universal Bus Devices (HoloLens Sensor), Monitors (Mixed Reality Headset) and Mixed Reality Device (Headset brand and model). Also uninstall the WMR Portal by going to Settings> Mixed Reality> Uninstall (Make sure to disconnect the headset and the close the WMR Portal app). Restart the computer and finally update the graphic through device manager or downloading it from the manufacture and install the WMR Portal (through the Microsoft Store).

Please try the in-place upgrade.

The in-place upgrade is a Process to reinstall the Windows Version that you currently have installed. This won't remove or modify any of your apps and personal data. Please follow the steps in this article. Note: Disconnect the HMD before initiating the process."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi@ZedSquared, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps:-

Install and update the latest BIOS & video card drivers, once done, use the below steps: 

1. Open the controller's battery cover. 

2. Press and hold the pairing button. It is located below the batteries. 

3. Press and hold the Windows button for five seconds. 

4. Release both buttons simultaneously. The process of resetting should take about 15 seconds. 

5. Pair your motion controllers with your PC. 

Once done, try the below steps: 

1. Open the Mixed Reality Portal app on your PC. 

2. In the side, menu click on to see more. 

3. Select set up controllers. 

4. In the settings screen, you now see, click add Bluetooth or another device. 

5. Open the battery door on your controllers. 

6. Press the small button below the batteries for 2 seconds until the lights flash. 

7. When the controllers appear in the list, click connect. 

Now, put on your headset and make sure that they're working and tracking OK. If you don't see them as in the image above, hold down the Windows button for two seconds until it vibrates to turn them off. 

Then repeat the process to turn them back on again and this should make them both appear in front of you. 

Once the controllers have paired over Bluetooth the lights on the ring will stop flashing and instead stay bright and steady. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for responding.

I ensured latest BIOS and video drivers and then paired the controllers again per your instructions. 

This made no improvement for me.

As I hope you can see in the attached screenshot, steam VR is functioning normally with both controllers visible.

1.png

Using Assetto Corsa Competizione as an example (I can provide others if needed: Star Wars Squadrons, Dirt Rally, House of the Dying Sun,  Assetto Corsa, Ultra Wings - all seated games) the game window loads but the WMR portal is grey and no HMD tracking is translating.

2.png

Please advise next steps and thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi@ ZedSquared,

Reverb G2 to support the notebook needs to checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

HP Recommended

Resolved. Here is the solution:

"With the headset connected, in device manager (enabling hidden devices), uninstall and delete the drivers (package) under Display adapter (Graphic Card), Universal Bus Devices (HoloLens Sensor), Monitors (Mixed Reality Headset) and Mixed Reality Device (Headset brand and model). Also uninstall the WMR Portal by going to Settings> Mixed Reality> Uninstall (Make sure to disconnect the headset and the close the WMR Portal app). Restart the computer and finally update the graphic through device manager or downloading it from the manufacture and install the WMR Portal (through the Microsoft Store).

Please try the in-place upgrade.

The in-place upgrade is a Process to reinstall the Windows Version that you currently have installed. This won't remove or modify any of your apps and personal data. Please follow the steps in this article. Note: Disconnect the HMD before initiating the process."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.