Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Reverb G2 crashes 90% of the time when there is a loading screen, I 've tried everything: A brand new $5000 computer that by far exceeds the recommended specs, every USB port, bought an external powered USB hub, every driver is up to date...Ive literally been through the HP checklist dozens of times and tried everything....so how do I get this device to work as advertised? I'd love to log a support request on the HP site, but it fails to recognise my Reverb serial number and won't let me.  Another few days and I will be lodging a refund request...  (Any advice appreciated.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fixed in one step. Setting the PCIE speed to Gen 3 (down from the defaulty Gen 4) did the trick.

Hopefully, a MOBO update fixs this issue in the future.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What video card are you using ? I have an NVIDIA RTX 2070 and in order to avoid crashes I must lower the SteamVR per eye resolution from 100% to 50 - 66%. 

SteamVR sets your headset to 100% resolution per eye even if your system can't handle it so you need to adjust that after you launch SteamVR via the hamburger menu. It's in settings, video ..

You should also launch your games in flat mode first, lower their resolutions to low or medium and then launch them in VR. If it doesn't crash, exit the game, re-launch it in flat mode and increase the games graphics settings and do the same thing. If it crashes you need to lower the graphics settings within the game.  I set my game graphics to high texture and density with low shadows when the options allow for it. This way I get better visuals without the crashes. Each games has their own graphics options so you have to play with it to get it just right.

I also find that I get better drive performance by using SSD drives with GPT partitions and not MBR. If you have a mechanical drive or a standard drive, it may cause some strain regardless of how powerful your system is. For your main hard drive to support GPT partitions your system must allow for UEFI booting capabilities via the BIOS. If not your system won't boot. However, you can setup secondary drives with GPT and use that for gaming instead.

Don't forget to restart SteamVR after making any changes to the settings options for it to take effect.

VR games tend to crash too if the drive you are running the games from do not have a swap file ( pagefile ). This is required by some games in order to allocate enough ram while playing in VR. One such game is Project Cars 2.

Go read my troubleshooting guide. I added information about configuring the swap file.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Accessories/General-Troubleshooting-Post-HP-Reverb-G2-WMR/td-p/...

HP Recommended

I have a 3080 video card. People are reporting  that these cards are causing issues with the Reverb G2. My motherboard is an x570...people are also reporting issues with this motherboard and G2. Supposedly, it is a USB issue that the manufacturers are aware of, and a new BIOS update is due soon. Havent heard this directly, so not sure if it is actually true. However, despite all this reports of knowing where the issue is rooted, it doesnt explain why native VR games work perfectly fine, but those run in  STEAM VR just crash. I think rather Steam VR is the culprit. Anyway, it would be great if someone from HP could chime in if they know anything solid. Thanks.

HP Recommended

HP Reverb G2 may require OpenXR to be enabled. When I first launched my VR games I didn't notice the warning on my WMR home header. It gave me an option on the header to click "fix" and it did it automatically for me.

Look through the steam settings to see if you can enable OpenXR too and that may resolve your issue. The page-file also helped me avoid crashes assuming you have drive space to spare that can be used as extra memory to support VR games. Reboot after any changes to ensure the changes are applied.

I don't think the video card would discriminate against SteamVR games if you can play native VR games. You can also try one of their older drivers if available. Sometimes new drivers cause issues.

#############

Open the Microsoft Store from the start menu and click the little dots on the top right of the screen.

Make sure you do all the updates listed there if any. This is not the same as the standard Windows update your system engages in via the operating system Windows update service.

I installed "HP Reverb G2 VR Headset Setup", "Mixed Reality Portal" and "OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality" from there. I recommend you do all the updates because that is where the Windows Mixed Reality updates are listed.

HP Recommended

Fixed in one step. Setting the PCIE speed to Gen 3 (down from the defaulty Gen 4) did the trick.

Hopefully, a MOBO update fixs this issue in the future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.