Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15t-dh000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 2 questions. I thought my computer had a Thunderbolt 3 port but the specs dont really say. I have a port on the side of my laptop with the thunderbolt icon. How do you distinguish between thunderbolt 3 or other thunderbolt versions?

The reason I want to know is I have a HP thunderbolt docking station and I can not get the external monitor to work that is connected to the dock. I wondered if the dock was not compatible to the laptop so I bought a different brand docking station and I can not get the laptop to even recognize it.

What do I do? I really wanted to get a docking station to work.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@troymcbride 

Your machine is a CTO machine therefore we do not have its full specs around. But it should have all ports shown on the following machine

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06401096

It has 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ with Thunderbolt™ 3 (40 Gb/s signaling rate, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port. Now my question: is your dock compatible with your Omen ? What is your dock ?

Your machine still has

• HDMI;
  • Mini DisplayPort™

for external monitors

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I first tried the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2. With it, the laptop would charge and the USB devices were recognized. The monitor connected to the display port would occasionally work, but not very often. I did try different monitors and cables to make sure they were not the problem and nothing changed.

Just recently I purchased a CalDigit TS3 Plus docking station. And nothing works when I connect to the Thunderbolt port.

What am I doing wrong?

HP Recommended

@troymcbride wrote:

... Just recently I purchased a CalDigit TS3 Plus docking station. And nothing works when I connect to the Thunderbolt port.

@troymcbride 

You are wasting your money. The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 is simply not compatible with your Omen. HP Omen machines (any) are not on the list.

https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2UK37AA&opt=&sel=ACC

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.