Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-80na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could help regarding the issue below:

During driver update for R9 390X graphics card on OMEN 870-080na desktop,  when it comes to installation, i know it's normal at this stage for monitor screen to flicker few times during update process (detection phase or whatever), however in my case my computer hangs up on flickering stage and display never comes back and few seconds later windows restarts itself and can only be recovered in restoration mode.

I have tried everything, BIOS update, fresh  windows installation etc but this problem never goes! Just wondering if my graphics card is about to die, or theres something wrong with the settings. The old drivers however, provided on HP product support page does work though. Any advise please ? I want to play latest titles and old drivers doesn't really go with new games. Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

AndyRM, thanks for sharing your experience. It now seems reasonable to doubt that AMD new driver does not support R9 390X, as I can still install old driver which was shipped with my computer. However, one thing I do not get my head round is why does AMD claim on their website that their new driver is still compatiable with my version  of Graphics !!

I also have noticed one thing that the default driver (2016) for my GPU has overlocking functionality built into Redeon Software, so I am assuming this was custome made specifically for this GPU, therefore I think I should stick to it.

If it can't play new games its just because it just not capable of playing them all ! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

An AMD specific graphics driver update should work.

All I could suggest is to completely remove the current HP AMD graphics drivers which must be verified in Control Panel, Device Manager. Verification should show Windows base or generic drivers. No AMD drivers should be present in Device Manager.

Then try a clean installation of the latest AMD provided graphics drivers.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for replying. 

I have tried doing clean installation but without any luck !! Not sure how will I be able to resolve it !

HP Recommended

I've had the same issue with my HP 870-003. The HP provided driver from their update service installs an old version of the driver correctly but any attempt to use the latest AMD sourced driver via the Catalyst Control Centre results in a fatal and unrecoverable driver violation in ACPI.SYS which can only be solved by a clean Windows install (safe mode worked fine but I was unable to resolve the problem with this). After doing the reinstall, Windows has now installed the 2017 version of the AMD driver.

The AMD Catalyst installer failed after one system restart at about 60% complete when attempting the second restart. 

Since the 2017 driver works OK for the games i have installed (Assassins Creed Odyssey in 4K resolution for instance works fine) I am not going to try to update the driver again at the moment.  This may be a problem to raise on the AMD forums perhaps.

HP Recommended

AndyRM, thanks for sharing your experience. It now seems reasonable to doubt that AMD new driver does not support R9 390X, as I can still install old driver which was shipped with my computer. However, one thing I do not get my head round is why does AMD claim on their website that their new driver is still compatiable with my version  of Graphics !!

I also have noticed one thing that the default driver (2016) for my GPU has overlocking functionality built into Redeon Software, so I am assuming this was custome made specifically for this GPU, therefore I think I should stick to it.

If it can't play new games its just because it just not capable of playing them all ! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.