Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

It looks like a standard USB 3.x header. It's a side view, so I can't say for sure.

It needs to have 19 pins. HP has been known to mod the wiring on MB header pin outs and connecting devices at times.

I don't have access to that type of detail. Maybe a different forum member has more info on this.

Regards

HP Recommended

If it is. Would that be a solution with the internal usb hub and cable you mentioned? I watched this video here and got lost. Thank you for being patient with me. Here is the video.

https://youtu.be/GRDhWc41U0Q

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I have used this hub. This hub may screw up PC sleep mode (it screwed up auto sleep on my test PC) because it is powered using a Molex connection.

So you need Molex power from the power supply. Maybe you can get a SATA to Molex power adatpter, I did not look.

You connect the dual female USB 2.0 cable provided in the box to the hub. Then connect the male MB USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter to this cable. This will provide data pass through from the MB to the hub.

You can now connect three USB 2.0 devices to the hub.

Regards

HP Recommended

What are the exact parts I will need?

1. Sata to molex

1. NZXT internal usb hub

And what else? I am gonna order all at once. I get the case tomorrow but will have to wait on this other stuff to come in. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would not proceed buying more stuff until you see if all the front panel stuff on the NZXT 510 is compatible with the HP MB. All additional purchases are pointless if you can't connect the HP MB to the new case.

You may be throwing money down a rabbit hole.

I would not do what you are doing. Just go DIY; replace the MB with a MB having industry standard headers and two USB 2.0 headers and get a new W10 product key.

Regards

HP Recommended

Worst case it won’t work out. I already ordered the hub and sata/molex adapter. I will keep those either way. I am going to have a local shop do the swap. If issues are there. Maybe they can test before tearing into it. I see many people doing Omen swaps with much better cases and they have no problem. So fingers crossed here. I’m not buying another mobo and new key when everything works fine including overclocking my cpu. I just need a better case for air flow. Thank you for the help. I will update either way if it goes good or bad. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sounds good. Keep the forum up to date.

Adding various adapters creates more complexity and more points of failure.

You may get the same advice from a a local PC tech.

My philosophy is, you get good results when you use the correct components.

Regards

HP Recommended

Did I at least purchase the right stuff if it works? Or do I need another cable for something? I only ordered the sata/molex and hub.

You mentioned this.

You need an open USB 3.0 header on the MB and a USB 3.0 19 pin female to 9 pin male USB 2.0 adapter. You will need two of these unless they make a single USB 3.0 to dual USB 2.0 adapter.

Do I need to order 2 of those as well?

HP Recommended

Dang it I can’t edit in time sorry. I also ordered another plain Jane non rgb case just in case the fancy one won’t work out. I ordered the Corsair 4000D Airflow. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would not proceed any further until you verify the Tampa2 MB will work with a retail case.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.