Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I add a 1TB M.2 NVMe 3D SSD By SanDisk to my pc with existing storage (256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD) or do I need to replace it? It seems specs say there is a 2nd m.2 slot on my pc. If so after installing what do I need to do when I boot it up?  Thx for help

Expansion slots

• One PCIe x16 socket
  • One PCIe x1 socket
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Millertime2329 , welcome to the Community.

You will have to replace the current M.2 to add the new one.  The "M.2 socket 1, key A" is for a WLAN card; not a M.2, SSD.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Millertime2329 , welcome to the Community.

You will have to replace the current M.2 to add the new one.  The "M.2 socket 1, key A" is for a WLAN card; not a M.2, SSD.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Ok thank you just wanted clarification on that I was reading more and was leaning towards that. So how exactly do I transfer what is on my existing one to the new one if I replace it

HP Recommended

Or am I better off using sata storage

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Millertime2329!

If you want to increase the size of your boot drive I would go with the M.2.  If you simply are trying to increase storage a SATA drive would be fine.

If you decide to replace the M.2 you can use a USB 3.1, M.2 adapter: https://www.newegg.com/riitop-pcem2tac/p/0VN-006F-00039?Description=m.2%20usb%20adapter&cm_re=m.2_us...

The one in this link has a USB 3.1 end and a USB 3.1- type C end.  There are both ports on your computer.  Once the M.2 is installed in the adapter you would connect the adapter to your computer.  Install a cloning software on your current M.2 and run it.  It will ask for the Target Drive and you select the new M.2 in the adapter.  Once the drive has been cloned you can remove the current M.2 and install the new one.  Then, go into the BIOS/UEFI and set it as the first boot.  The computer should boot to it.

You haven't wasted your money on the adapter for a one time use, because you can install the old M.2 in it and use it for storage or leave the OS on it an use it for an emergency drive.

I have a SATA adapter that I use frequently for that purpose: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb3s2sat3cb

I connect a Samsung EVO 840 to my computer and boot to it.  I use it for storage and other confidential data.  I don't leave it connected to the computer unless I am using it.  It is safe from hackers.

HP Recommended

Awesome information thanks a million times over!!!!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Millertime2329!  Always glad to help.

HP Recommended

I haven’t decided which to do yet but if I decide to leave the original M.2 just add a internal sata ssd 1TB do I need to do anything when it boots up in bios or anything. 

HP Recommended

@Millertime2329 

@Millertime2329 wrote:

I haven’t decided which to do yet but if I decide to leave the original M.2 just add a internal sata ssd 1TB do I need to do anything when it boots up in bios or anything. 

You will need a SATA power connector on the PSU and a SATA data cable.  If you are using it strictly for storage you should not add an operating system.  Once it is installed you will have to go into Disk Management, right click on the drive and select "Mark Partition as Active".  Otherwise, it won't be recognized by the system.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide to help you with the install of the standard SSD in the HDD bay: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06425327

This information is on Pages 16 thru 18.  I like Samsung SSD's because they seem to work best with the HP BIOS/UEFI.  I have a Samsung EVO 840 and EVO 860 in my rig.

Good luck!

Happy New Year!!

HP Recommended

I did new simple volume . It says healthy basic data partition as active. I am not using as primary just a secondary storage. It is crucial 1TB sata ssd thank you for patience and help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.