Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 880-050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently found my only a few months old OMEN 880-050 switch is faulty. It starts, then shuts off. Then a few seconds later it starts again. I have seen online this is a known issue with these switches. Has anyone found a solution or know how I can get this replaced? I'm sure I could do it if I had the part. It is still under warranty but i can't afford to send it in for repair. Thanks all who can give me your insight. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK then, I have a feeling its not the switch but the bios causing the restart.

When you overclock with the Omen Command Center, you need to reboot the PC twice for it to hold properly. If you dont, it will reboot again randomly to try to set the adjustments.

Im guessing its stuck.

Go back into the OCC and reset it to Default. I dont know what the default settings are for an i7 7700k, you'll have to hope it remembers.

When you do, reboot the PC 2 times. Then reboot a 3rd time and reset the bios to Default. F10 at power on will get you to bios.

Let me know if that stops it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Markc76

Need some more information.

What is the full model number? There should be 2 letters at the end of the model number ... OMEN 880-050xx ?

When you say it starts, shuts down and the starts again, is it continously restarting in a loop (never ending) or does it fully turn on after it restarts?

What troubleshooting steps have you done yet?

I dont recall the Omen 880 having a known issue with the power switch. HP does not have the power switch available for purchase. But there could be a number of other reasons for the restart.

Let me know.

HP Recommended

Good day Photoray002,

I cannot find the extra two digits, dang it. And i threw out the box a month ago. This is what I find. Manf#  Z5M97AA#ABA  SKU# 325514

It is the gaming PC with the side window you can see into. I think it was the first version that had the 1080Ti GPU. 

• Intel Core i7-7700K Processor 4.2GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X
  • 16GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
  • 2TB HDD+512GB SSD
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • DVD-RW Drive
  • 3-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 2x2 802.11ac Wireless+Bluetooth 4.2 M.2

So when I start it up. It actually lights up, fans kick on, drives etc start working along with the liquid cooling pump. It's all very quiet. But then after about 3 seconds, it shuts off. It is off for roughly 3-5 seconds and it starts again. It stays on once it starts again. (No Loop).  It isn't doing like windows restart or anything like that where it is trying to boot from a different drive or outside source through BIOS. It is just powering up the lights, and hardware, shutting off, then turning back on. OOnce it restarts the second time it is fine. But I worry it's powering up my drives then doing a hard power off each time it does this which i know isn't good for the hard drives.

I have read in several reviews that other people have received these with the same switch issue out of the box, and is why I was hoping it may be more common. But maybe it's not. I bought it at Microcenter. So I am going to see if they can repair it. Otherwise, HP requires i send it in, and i cant not have it for 2-3 weeks. I need it for my business and play. 

Otherwise, it has been the best PC I have ever owned. I love the extra two Hard drive top external 3.5" slots i can throw drives into at will. I've already filled my three drives and have added one. But yes, it's very strange. It comes on, lights up, turns off. Then 3-5 seconds later restarts and stays running fine. I don't know how to better explain it. This happens EVERY TIME. Not hit or miss, or once in a while. If this doesn't make sense. Maybe I can post a quick video of it. I would love to find out its a setting. But i can't think of what it would be.

I don't know any startup settings that would affect this so i dont really know how to troubleshoot it. Its under warranty so i dont dare tamper with the switch itself. I have checked all the wiring inside and out. Everything is tight. That is about it for troubleshooting. Besides calling HP and them saying it must be bad, send it in for repair. 

Thanks for all the help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Mark

This is what it looks like:480079_325514_03_front_zoom.jpg480079_325514_05_front_zoom.jpg

HP Recommended

The Manf#  Z5M97AA works. That is the Product Number, thanks.

Did this occur out of the box or just recently?

Did you ever try overclocking the cpu with the omen command center at some point?

HP Recommended

Thanks, Photoray002,

Yes, I believe it has always done this. I just never really noticed it until the last few weeks as the lighting in my office has changed with the seasons. It's now darker when I get home. That's my theory.

I turned up the OMEN overclocking by 1 when first got it. (When you start OMEN Manager the first time it walks you through overclocking by having you take both Ratio and Cache up by 1. It also warns you not to take it up by more than 1 increment at a time or your PC may restart or some warning similar to that) 

I believe the default setting for OMEN Manager was at Processor ratio of 45x and Processor cache of 44x. @ Default voltage. (default voltage doesn't show a value in the manager. The next step up is .500v but I've never changed voltage)   So I'm' at 46x Ratio, 45x Cache @ default voltage) thats as far as i have gone. I see no need to really overclock it unless it needs it. And at this point, it runs everything on ultra without getting hot or loud so ive mainly left it alone. Do you see anything wrong with these settings that could be the cause? 

Thanks again for your help,

Mark

HP Recommended

OK then, I have a feeling its not the switch but the bios causing the restart.

When you overclock with the Omen Command Center, you need to reboot the PC twice for it to hold properly. If you dont, it will reboot again randomly to try to set the adjustments.

Im guessing its stuck.

Go back into the OCC and reset it to Default. I dont know what the default settings are for an i7 7700k, you'll have to hope it remembers.

When you do, reboot the PC 2 times. Then reboot a 3rd time and reset the bios to Default. F10 at power on will get you to bios.

Let me know if that stops it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.