Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-1055xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Software and Drivers page on HP shows my current BIOS is F.31 (July 2020).
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-1055xt Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Today, my BIOS was updated to F.32 (Nov 2020).  But it wasn't done through HP Support Assistant, but through Windows Update.  I've never had my BIOS updated through Windows Update before.   It was listed as "HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.32.0.0"

Is this legit or do I need to roll back the BIOS to F.31?  I'm not having any issues with F.32 so far.

Thanks, 
Brusay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My daughter has an HP Omen laptop.  I noticed that her current BIOS was F.19.  The HP Software and Drivers section on support.hp.com showed F.21 was the latest BIOS.  Then in Windows Update I noticed an updated listed as "HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.21.0.0"  

So it would seem HP is offering BIOS updates through their website; through HP Support Assistant, and now also through Windows Update. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

It is most likely legit. I am not aware of any interceptions happening within public Windows Updates. You do not need to roll back unless you experience any important issues from the new update which cannot be mitigates with other means.

Microsoft works together with computers vendors including HP. Microsoft will sometimes push FW/BIOS and driver updates when they believe it is of high importance such as those that include important security updates. If you use Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise editions you have somewhat higher control of what to install and when.

Here's a generic article about this >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

Hope this helps. Let me know if any questions or issues.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

IT_WinSec,

1.  The generic article you referenced states:

+ Can I update my printer software, BIOS, or HP software through Windows Update?

No. Windows Update does not provide HP printer software, HP software updates, or BIOS updates.

BIOS updates: For instructions to update the BIOS, go to one of the following HP support documents.
HP Consumer Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

2.   When I reference the article on Updating the BIOS, it states:

CAUTION:
 Only install BIOS updates from HP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These must be older articles, because HP claims Windows Update does NOT provide BIOS updates.  Obviously, Windows Update now does.  These articles were probably written to warn people from installing generic BIOS updates directly from the manufacturer of the motherboard instead of through HP.  

In my case, I went into the BIOS setup utility for version F.32 from Windows Update.  There are still HP and Omen Logos present.

HP Recommended

My daughter has an HP Omen laptop.  I noticed that her current BIOS was F.19.  The HP Software and Drivers section on support.hp.com showed F.21 was the latest BIOS.  Then in Windows Update I noticed an updated listed as "HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.21.0.0"  

So it would seem HP is offering BIOS updates through their website; through HP Support Assistant, and now also through Windows Update. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.