Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion Gtx 750Ti
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Compaq 6200 pro sff with an i3 2100 and 6 GB RAM.  I’m wondering if the motherboard will provide enough power for a GTX 750 ti (it needs 60W)

So, will the GTX 750 ti work on the 6200 pro sff?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

My main concern would be that your video card would need to be low profile to fit. To answer your power question, yes, the motherboard can supply enough power for that video card through the PCIe slot.

Is this your system https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02779493  ? 

HP Recommended

@MD4212 , welcome to the forum.

I don't believe that the 750 Ti (Low-profile) will be compatible with your motherboard.  There are two main reasons:

1) The 750 Ti requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  According to the Maintenance and Service Guide your computer was released in 2011.

2) The power supply unit (PSU) in your computer is only 240W.  The 750 Ti requires a minimum of 300W to operate properly.  The 240W PSU is simply not going to be enough.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Old_geeksteer, good point about the UEFI. There are some 750 Ti video cards that have a hybrid BIOS that allows them to work with both UEFI and Legacy BIOS motherboards. But a high percentage of 750 Ti cards lack that feature.

In regards to the power requirements Nvidia states, I have a feeling that is a CYA figure. HP sometimes totally disregards Nvidia. See HP 580-023w which pairs a GTX 1060 3GB (400w minimum according to Nvidia) with a 300w power supply. Nvidia has no way of knowing the quality of a power supply someone will be using.

OP, what is your goal of upgrading a 9-year old computer?

HP Recommended

@randomname1, you are spot on, also.  I have seen instances where the manufacturer told an OP to buy the 750 with the switch and it still didn't work.  I know the CYA aspect by the manufacturers when it comes to power requirements.  However, since I don't want to give the OP's incorrect information, I always provide the information provided by the manufacturer.  I learned the hard way when I first started helping back in 2002.  Upgrading PC's is not one of HP's primary businesses, so the answers I give reflect on my credibility.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.