Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0255st CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been having problems with my desktop pretty much since I bought it. It crashes randomly and no one seems to be able to tell me why. April 2, I chatted with tech support and opened a case. I was contacted afterward by an HP support advisor who told me that since my issue is ongoing, they were going to extend my warranty for free for six months. I haven't heard back from him since April 8th, my warranty has since expired, and now I can't get support even though my computer still crashes. My case is still open but I have no way of contacting support without paying for the care package which I can't afford.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey, first off all, that sucks and I hope you can get it looked at by a technician.
Random crashes could be a significant issue, did you do anything out of the ordinary to the PC?
It could be a (unplugged or) faulty component, or perhaps the PC overheats if you're in an extremely hot climate (the 30L isn't that great at heat dissipation).

'My case is still open'
Can you still reply to the ticket? Support is handled on a region by region and sometimes per individual country, so there's not much that we can do here on the forums. Most of the replies (like mine) are from volunteers who somehow ended up on this forum, probably because of an issue of their own 🤣

Your best hope is a reply in the original case/thread since HP won't show you any contact details since it thinks your warranty has expired. Or perhaps if you can directly contact the HP support agent that told you that your warranty would be extended, since it seems that has not occurred or at least isn't 'global'?

HP Recommended

I haven’t done anything to my PC and I’m not in a super hot climate (NJ) so I’m not sure it’s overheating. I think it might have something to do with graphics in some way? Whenever it crashes, I check the reliability history and it always throws a livekernelevent 141 which I think is graphics related but I’m not a tech so I’m not super sure. 

I can’t reply to the ticket in any way. It shows as my case still being open on my dashboard and when I try to reply or contact HP it just takes me to a page with options for people sans-warranty which is why I’m here lol. I tried contacting the agent who emailed me after my case several times but he’s yet to respond. I haven’t heard from him since April when he initially told me my warranty would be extended so I’m feeling really bummed. I tried calling a tech support number I was given last night by a sales rep but I was on hold for 2 and 1/2 hours before I gave up

HP Recommended

Thanks for the extra info, the livekernelevent 141 might be enough to go on.

You could monitor the temperatures by using something like HWMonitor, I think it can produce logs as well. That way you can rule out overheating. 

I also came across this thread with potential causes/solutions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-event-name-livekernelevent-code-141/a8...

And another user who's unstable electricity was too much for the Power Supply to handle.

Screenshot_2022-05-14-03-54-33-28_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

HP Recommended

I can definitely try to monitor the temps. I know for whatever reason, even doing bare minimum or playing games that have low spec requirements, my temps can reach 80 and usually hover between 80-82 for cpu and gpu but I wasn’t sure if that was just because like you said this computer doesn’t have great heat disbursement. I do know that I can play pretty heavy duty games on it like Witcher 3 or Elden Ring for example and it never crashes but when I play less stressful games like indie games is when I experience crashes. And there’s never any indication that it’ll crash, the whole computer just shuts down. A few times now, just the monitor has crashed and the computer itself has stayed on. 

Is there any way to check that I have a stable power supply? Any tools or any way to check on the actual computer to rule that out? I have everything plugged into a power surge protector so I don’t know if that would affect it or not. 

I have done I don’t know how many memory, ram, every kind of test I can run for check for issues but they all always come back clean. I update everything whenever I can and I’ve never messed with over locking or anything like that like they suggested in the thread you linked so I’m stumped. I do appreciate your replies though, it’s nice to hear from an actual person even if we can’t find a real solution here. 

HP Recommended

I really am not knowledgeable enough to help you out with this specific issue, I'm no technician, so perhaps you can find similar threads online. Or someone with a more comprehensive knowledge of crash-troubleshooting replies:
I do think it's interesting that you can run Elden Ring & Witcher 3 on High(?) settings without crashing, it might indicate that your PCs Power Supply might not be the issue. As you'd imagine the higher usage/draw could trigger a crash, but it doesn't.

I'm no electrician, but if you're not out in the boondocks I figure it should be fine, although any power interruptions could cause a crash. It's also interesting that it does 'crash'/shutdown when the PC is near-idle/less stressed, perhaps it's just a coincidence though and you might just play more indie titles rather than Heavy Duty AAA games.

Can you post a full list of the PC specifications? The easiest way to find it might be a program like Speccy, but you might find a list on your product page.

Edit: When reinstalling graphics drivers there can be remnants that remain on the system, but I'm not even sure it's related to your error tbh.
Here's a guide on how to flawlessly clean-install graphics drivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqUeU09cf8

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.