Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
omen 880-015rz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I was helping a user upgrade their ram and we have run into some issues. Originally the computer read 4GB of DDR3 RAM. We purchased 16G of  DDR4 ram (2x8GB) to upgrade the computer. When we opened the computer up, we saw there were two sticks of 4GB in there, meaning the motherboard was only reading one. We swapped out the old RAM with the new RAM and got 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps indicating no RAM. We then tried the other two slots on the motherboard that were not being used and got the same thing. Then we took the old RAM and seated it back in its normal position and still got the beeps. We went as far as only putting one stick of the old RAM in each slot to see if it could even find 4GB of RAM but no matter what we did it would not find any RAM. Without getting the computer to boot I am unsure how to fix this issue. The only other thing I saw was to temporarily remove the CMOS battery. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Jcbrev , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  In the section titled Memory/Memory upgrade information, it shows the types of memory and the maximum amount that can be installed.  As you will see, the memory is supposed to be DDR4.  If DDR3 memory was being used it will not work.

Who is the manufacturer of the new memory and specs for it?  A link to it will be helpful.

Here is the memory that Crucial Memory recommends for the computer.  Crucial/Micron makes very good memory for OEM computers.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to look at my case. Here is the new ram we purchased: 

https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820820048

HP Recommended

For some reason that is linking to the ddr4 3200 but we got the oloy ddr4 2400.

HP Recommended

@Jcbrev, I am glad that you let me know that you purchased DDR4 -2400 memory.  There is no profile for DDR4-3200 in your BIOS.

I have never seen the memory that you bought.  It may be that it is not compatible with HP's motherboards.  I suggest that you contact their Tech Support to see if they can explain why it won't work.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Well, ypu can try those new ram on sone other pc if you have one. And i also never heard of that brend. My suggestion is even if you get picture you should test them in memtest 86. And also you could try to clean the slots with vacum cleaner or something like that. 

Does original memory still works when you put it back?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the original RAM is not working either. It seems the motherboard was only reading one stick in the beginning, and ever since the swap, no RAM will work. I have some friends coming over to try out their working RAM to determine if it is the RAM sticks or the motherboard, but I suspect it is the motherboard having the issues.  

HP Recommended

It is probably the motherboard. If those new rams are bad, there is pretty big possiabillity that they killed her but who knows. If bios is set incorrect because of them, the removal of cmos battery should fix the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.