Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion power 580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My computer work perfectly fine with no issues until one day it just shut off on me in the middle of a game and will not power back on. When I plug the cord into the desktop and the wall the only thing that happens is a green light on the power Supply comes on. But that’s it, nothing else happens. No fan or anything and no sounds just that green light.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Madkins610 

The first thing that sort of issue points to is a bad power supply, but there could be other hardware issues also.

I assume you are way out of warranty by now, correct? If so, I would try a few things before I go out and buy another PSU. Disconnect any extra stuff you might have plugged in like a printer or external drive.

Unplug the power cord and hold down the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any power in the system. Then check all the wiring and reseat any plugs like the connectors to the motherboard.

Reseating the memory and graphics card won’t be a bad idea also.

Plug the power cord back in and try turning it on again. IF nothing, if you have access to another PSU, I would disconnect the old power supply and connect another one to test with. IF that yields the same result, there is something else wrong like a bad motherboard. There could even be something wrong with the power button. You might see if it will power on if the hard drive is disconnected or even the graphics card.  It’s a trial and error process.

I’ve heard suggested to try replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard also, but I have personally never seen that work. That’s not to say it’s not possible though.

Otherwise, you may want to take it in to a shop and have them look at it, if you’re not into all that troubleshooting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.