Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP TOUCHSMART 300
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My son has an old PC HP Touchsmart (300-1115be) and wishes to download and play Fortnite. I think I will need to upgrade below system ??::

• Windows 7 Processor AMD Athlon II 235e
  • Processor 2.70 Ghz
  • Memory : 7.75 G
  • Type : 64 bits

My question, is it worth upgrading it or do I need to buy a new PC ?

I f I can upgrade the PC, what do I need to buy ?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Oliver

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You will need a new PC.  Your gaming desktop does not even come close.

Here are the system requirements for Fortnite.

Fortnite System Requirements: Recommended Requirements
  • Operating System: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit.
  • Processor Core: i5 2.8 Ghz.
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM.
  • Video Card: Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU.
  • Video Memory: 2 GB VRAM.

Basic requirements for Fortnite

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo / AMD Athlon 2x2
RAM: 2GB
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 7800 (512mb)/AMD Radeon HD 4600 (512MB)/Intel HD 4000
DirectX 9.0c
1.5GB HDD space

I just happened to have purchased a desktop setup for some relatives  of mine two days ago and stuck to a strict  budget. I purchased a certified refurbished HP EliteDesk 800 G1 tower desktop PC. They will still need to upgrade to a video card to play the game. The following link shows the system I bought.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883286362

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help, Erico. I 'm not very experienced ithese new upgardings.

But I Have a firends who is selling his PC HP TouchSmart IQ500 (HP TouchSmart IQ500), does this do the job with an upgrade ?

My son wishes to keep the "touchschreen" option on his PC.

Regards

Olivier

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, the graphics solution on the HP TouchSmart IQ500 will be the roadblock with this one.

Fortnite will not run on the HP TouchSmart IQ500 PC.

The nVidia GeForce 9300M with 256 MB of VRAM is too anemic for the high graphics requirements of Fortnite. 

The fact that the GeForce 9300M or the GeForce 9600M are MXM cards, makes sourcing a compatible replacement that does have enough power a not an option.

Something like the PC that I purchased for my relatives is a viable upgrade option that  is in budget for many wannabe Gamers.  HP TouchSmart AIO desktop PCs are definitely not gaming machines and are worst case scenario for graphics hardware updates.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.