Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-219
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking to upgrade my video card from the Stock 1060 3GB to something a little better for using Microsoft flight simulator 2020. It has the Odense 2-K Motherboard and a 500W power supply. I know there are limitations to what I can upgrade to but any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If you want 60 FPS on high settings, get a new Nvidia or AMD (when they come out) GPU, like the 3000 series for Nvidia (particularly the 3070 for 1440p, or the Geforce RTX 3090 for 4K) or one of the new AMD GPUs that will come out in December. I think the only issue would be what kind of CPU you have. If don't have a CPU that will match with the newer graphics cards, then just get one of the lower-end 2000 series from Nvidia or stick with what you have, which will make the quality go down to 1080p to 1440p, but that's alright if you don't care much about the quality. You should probably wait a bit for a new GPU so that prices go down, because scalpers seem to be really messing with the market right now.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is very demanding which is why only the 3090 can really play it at 4K for now.

TL;DR - If you want 4K, get the Geforce RTX 3090 GPU from Nvidia or a new 6000 series AMD GPU that around the same spec as the GeForce RTX 3090 GPU or higher. If you're fine with 1440p, then get a high-end 2000 series Nvidia graphics card or a lower-end 3000 series. If you're really on a budget and think 1080p is fine, then try out a lower end Nvidia 2000 series or keep what you have and mess with the settings.

EDIT: Sorry if I seem a bit biased for Nvidia, I don't know enough about the AMD cards to give any examples of comparable ones to the Nvidia graphics cards.

Best Regards, Evanism.
HP Recommended

I am not good with the technical stuff but my understanding is that my CPU has limited capacity??

Specs for my PC:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05474320

HP Recommended

@rsweet333 

The actual answer is your computer is unable to comply with MSFS2020.

Motherboard and video: Intel i7-9800X (not available to your board) and 32GB motherboard RAM, (your motherboard will max out at 16GB. 8 GB video RAM. Now the RTX 3000 series is coming available, either the RTX 3080 or the RTX 3070

PSU of 750W-850W.    That means do not purchase any of the TP01, TE01, TG01, or M01 series.  All those have an HP proprietary designed PSU, and will not satisfy your needs.  Ask before you leap.

Best style MSFS joysticks are running $240-280

So to play a $120 program you will spend: computer(see below)  $2700+ joystick + MSFS2020 = $3100 USD.  But you need to add CAN VAT.

If you wait for an HP 875-1040ST (customized) with a 1TB NVMe SSD, 1-2 TB data drive, RTX 3070 or 3080, and wired mouse/keyboard.  The problem will be the PSU,  IMHO the RTX 3080 in this configuration needs an 850W PSU.   The specification page only shows an RTX 2080 and Shadow 750W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.