3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GPU temperature while gaming

Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, guys.

I bought the Omen by HP, Obelisk desktop with rtx 2080 during the BlackFriday sales from Bestbuy. However, I didn't have too much time gaming after purchasing the desktop.

Until today, I finally have some time to play. When I  played World of Warcraft for around 2 hours, I noticed that the GPU temperature went to 83 degree C. Then I played PUBG for another 3 hours with GPU temperature around 86 degree C.

I went to Nvidia website and  under the "specs", I saw that the "Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) is 88" (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080/) which is only 2 degree higher than 86 C.

So, I want to ask if this is normal temperature (for gaming) and if this temperature harmful to GPU? If this is harmful, is there any way to lower GPU temperature?

BTW, I  used a 2k 144Hz monitor when gaming, and my gpu temperature stays around 35 degree C if I do nothing.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Acronomikos
Level 1
5 5 0 3
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.I'm currently playing AC Oddyssey and the temperature is 83-85 C.I have even attached a case fan to the ceiling....I think the fan of the GPU and the missing front fan is the problem.I'll probably change the case the days ..

0 Kudos
Djeron
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This temperature is absolutly normal, got the same results with my old and new gaming laptop.

0 Kudos
Acronomikos
Level 1
5 5 0 3
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, normal would be a maximum of 73 degrees on the GPU.Netzt is Winter.Wie should look like in summer? ^^

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,121 3,234
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Acronomikos

Have you considered contacting HP Support directly for help? you are entitled under warranty.

I have the 880 Omen desktop and my GTX 1070 averages around 73 with Battlefield, so the GPU running 86 would have me a bit concerned also.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation