Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
08-06-2020 01:13 PM
So I installed a brand new 1660 graphics card and replaced the stock 1060 gtx and when I was finished the computer would not turn on like it tried to start but would quickly die after about 2 seconds and I don’t know what is wrong with it
08-06-2020 02:12 PM
Although @Photoray002 has a better understanding on the HP Omen 870 series. I hope he will jump in.
Using total power off (remove power cord from chassis:
1) Re-install the stock 1060.
2) Uninstall all GTX 1060 software and the driver.
3) Swap cards.
4) RE-power and if it boots, install 1660 software.
5) If not, you need to enter the BIOS and disable Secure Boot. Read cautionary notes.
Secure Boot. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04784866
HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
08-06-2020 03:34 PM
@wb2001 Well... two things aren't jiving with the OP's post. I'll offer my thoughts.
1. I have NEVER heard of HP selling an OMEN "Gaming" system with Windows 10 S mode. That would not make sense as S mode does not allow any 3rd party apps or software to be installed. That means no games other than MS apps. In such case, you wouldn't need a high powered PC to play them. Not sure if you can run the NVIDIA updates at that point also.
I would say if the OP is worried about security to this extent, he/she should dual boot Linux instead. Otherwise I would suggest the OS be converted to HOME first. Just my opinion.
2. That model only came with a GTX 1070... Parts Surfer. Also it would not make sense to upgrade a 1060 with a 1660. The small performance gain is NOT worth the money spent. Unless the OP is having issues with the 1060 not working properly to begin with. In that case, does he/she know its the card and not the PSU for example?
So, was this Omen purchased used or is it the correct model number?
If the OS is the standard HOME version and the card is not recognized after what you (@wb2001) mentioned to do above, I would make sure the bios is also up to date. Should be version A0.59 sp85454.exe. It can be found in the HP Support Assistant. Reset the bios to default first, then update it.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community