Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Desktop PC Series
Linux

I need a recommendation on a power supply for a more powerful GPU and I'd like the power supply to be future proof for an additional GPU upgrade in two years. I have an HP Pavilion Power Desktop, HP model# 580-023w.

I want to upgrade my GTX 1060 3GB GPU and power supply (Lite-On Technology Co., Ltd., PS-6301-07), but I don't know which power supplies will have compatible adapters/connections. I want to upgrade to an Asus Dual-RTX2070-08G-EVO Dual GeForce RTX 2070 Graphic card (or similar in the RTX2070 family). The GPU manufacturer recommends: Minimum 550 W or greater system power supply with one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. For future proofing, I'd like to exceed the minimum and get a 600 to 700 W power supply. What power supply will work and will this GPU fit (if it won't fit, then what similar Nvidia GPU will?).

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @EricChristian 

Well, if you insist on an RTX 2070 with that little CPU, that's your choice. 😶  The power supply used is a micro-ATX form factor. You will have to see what you can find online at the moment as things are a little wacky for parts right now.

The best thing to do is measure the inside of the case yourself and see how much room you have for the length of the card.

Then make sure the power supply you find has the appropriate power connectors for that card. I would not skimp on PSU's and go for a good brand name. Dont be surprised if you cannot find anything over 550w right now. IF you dont, you should still be OK.

Also, that case has very poor air flow for cooling. If you can, I would recommend a blower card, not open air. Like this... https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-RTX2060S-8G-EVO/

Does that help? Let me know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.