Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-011
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP OMEN 880-011 which had a i5-7400 CPU fitted from new which I have now upgraded to an i7-7700 3.6Ghz.

I bought a Cooler Master 212 Evo cooler to fit with the upgraded CPU but I have run into a problem in fitting it.

The threads on the Cooler Master mounts are different to those on the original OEM cooler.

Taking off the second side panel doesn't give access to the back of the motherboard so I can't see if it is possible to remove the HP mounts and replace with the Cooler Master mounts.

Has anyone else fitted a Hyper 212 to an Omen desktop or can recommend a different cooler that will bolt straight on to the HP mounts? Would prefer an air cooler rather than water.

I

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep, Alpenföhn Ben Nevis fits perfectly on HP’s backplate 🙂 I just installed it to my Omen. Try to find that cooler 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi, I just ordered Cryorig H7 and it will arrive tomorrow. I'll remove the motherboard from the case so that I can see is the backplate removable. I’ll let you know in few days. I have Tampa 2 motherboard.

HP Recommended

That would be great thanks.

Mine is the Naples motherboard.

The infuriating thing is that the mounting bracket for the Cooler Master can be set to the same spacing as that of the HP backplate it is just that the thread patterns don't match. If you are lucky you might find that the threads on the Cryorig match that of the HP backplate, be sure to test them first before you go pulling the motherboard out!

Best of luck.

HP Recommended

Ok, the MB is now removed and *facepalm*. The CPU´s locking mechanism is screwed (and mayby even glued) to the back plate so you can´t remove it (or you need to find original lga 1151 lock´s backplate).

So we need to look for another model which screws fit the to HP´s backplate. I´m returning Cryorig 😞

My local dealer told me that someone had succeeded in installing Alpenföhn Ben Nevis on Omen 880 https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/bennevis . I just bought one. I´ll let you know does it fit.

HP Recommended

Yep, Alpenföhn Ben Nevis fits perfectly on HP’s backplate 🙂 I just installed it to my Omen. Try to find that cooler 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the info.

I have now ordered the Ben Nevis cooler from Conrad.se (about €28+postage) it is also available on amazon.de for €25 for Prime members.

Hopefully it should arrive during this coming week.

After i have it I will confirm to the thread that it fits my motherboard also, but I am very confident that it will as looking at the HP parts store the same parts numbers are compatible across various motherboards.

HP Recommended

The Ben Nevis cooler arrived today and was very simple to install and screwed directly to the existing HP backplate.

Omen.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.