Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Omen Obelisk Windows 10 gaming desktop no longer recognizes the monitor on boot.  No recent updates were performed, seems likely hardware related.  Graphics card is GEFORCE GTX 2080.  On boot hear 8 beeps followed by 2 low tones then 2 high tones.  Attempted reset, CMOS battery in and out, reseated card and RAM, Windows+ B key combo.  Tried alternate cable and monitor.  Original BIOS version.  Out of warranty so can't seem to contact HP support directly?  

Ideas?  Graphics card bad?  Power supply?  Any assistance appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@gage3 , welcome to the forum.  I believe that the 8 short beeps is telling you that you have a video card problem.  The solution could be as simple as cleaning the connectors and the slot and re-seating the card.  If your motherboard has Integrated Video, remove the video card and connect your monitor to it.  If the problem is solved, the card has failed.

For future reference, when requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your assistance.  There is no integrated video on the motherboard.  The graphics card has been removed and the connectors cleaned and reseated.  Same deal.  Replacing the monitor and cable does not help.  This is an HP Omen Obelisk 875-0024.  Tried putting in a graphics card from an old computer, same beeps.  Is there any other way to isolate if it would be the card or the power supply?  Thanks!  

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gage3!  Thank you for the model number. 

I can't find an exact duplicate of the BIOS beep code that you are receiving.  I don't believe that it is the power supply unit (PSU), however.  There isn't a beep code for it.  The system simply doesn't boot or freezes or some other symptom.

I suggest that you do a search to see if you can find the beep code that you are receiving.  Otherwise, hopefully another member will have a solution for you.

HP Recommended

I think it seems similar to https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/No-video-on-Boot-8-beeps-followed-by-2-long-2-... which says to contact HP support in your region, except no updates were done...  

HP Recommended

I'm thinking it may be the motherboard.  Would this be the correct replacement?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-OMEN-OBELISK-875-0014-INTEL-Z370-LGA1151-MATX-EDORAS-MOTHERBOARD-L23867-...

I know it says 875-0014 and my system is 875-0024.  It looks like newegg is out of stock https://www.newegg.com/p/1JW-000M-01317  and I didn't quickly find it anyplace else...

HP Recommended

@gage3, I am sorry to not get back to you sooner, but I am trying to get an exact solution for your problem.  I will let you know what I find out soon.

HP Recommended

@gage3, since you can't see your monitor, it is very difficult to diagnose your problem.  Here are some things that you can try:

1. If you upgraded the bios and during the course of the upgrade, the power went out or the bios upgrade was wrong, then you will need to record the bios (flashing), so you may recommend that you take the unit to an authorized service center by Hp.
  2. If you changed the processor to a non-compatible one for the socket, then that is the problem.
  3. You cam clean the internal components (hardware) with isopropyl alcohol (the purer the alcohol, the better) and can be applied with a brush.
  4. It can also be a problem with the video card, and can be solved temporarily by reballing or replacing the motherboard.
  5. Assuming that you have technical knowledge, you can use a multi-meter and check if the capacitor(c), fuse(F) ,resistors(R) , NTC O SMD(R or TR) thermistor, mosfet(Q), inductor/coils(L) works, and all capital letters are component identifiers inside the motherboard.

I wish that I could help further, but if none of the above things work, it is most likely time to take it to an Authorized Repair Center or other computer shop.

HP Recommended

@gage3, you said that you removed the CMOS battery. However, I would like you to clear the CMOS using the Jumper:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-875-0000-obelisk-desktop-pc-series/23302709/model/23...

You will find instructions in the section titled "Clear CMOS and Password jumpers".  If this doesn't doesn't help, along with my other suggestions, I would definitely take it to a computer shop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.