Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-553na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

So I've had this PC for roughly 9 Months and Ive been very happy with it so far, Ive had a few issues here and there but mostly everything works fine. I play a lot with my friends in my free time and I don't really monitor temperatures or processes when I play games. However recently started playing this one game called "Assassins Creed Odyssey" and started monitoring where the game maxes out CPU and GPU utilisation at 100% with some other background applications working. However, this game consistently uses a lot of my CPU and GPU as I play at a variable refresh rate which is expected, in the past the temperatures for the CPU would reach 75-80 Degrees Celsius with the stock AIO Liquid Cooler and Fan that came with the PC. I swapped out the stock fans that came with the PC with Corsair ML120 Pros because the stock ones were stupidly loud and irritating. These new corsair fans have the same cooling capabilities as the stock ones but are quieter and more pleasant to listen to under load. These fans are excellent and push a lot of air at high pressure through the radiator with no problems. I was having a conversation with my friends about temperatures while playing ingame, and I mentioned that my CPU temperatures are 80 degrees under full load. He said that they were high for an AIO Liquid Cooler. They do seem quite high for what cooling capabilities my PC has to offer. My friend has the same processor as me but his system is air cooled (i7 9700k). He says he gets max 65 Degrees Celsius under full load on his system so i'm confused to why my CPU temperatures are very high despite being cooled by water. I still had high temperatures with the stock fans with the AIO so I know that the new fans are not the issue. I did not pay that much attention as it wasn't an issue that I was aware of, however after my friend started speaking to me about it and recently getting sudden lag spikes in assassins creed odyssey it became an issue. When my system is under full load I can feel the exhaust heat from the radiator, but it is not particularly very hot, maybe because so much air is being pushed through I cant feel the heat, however I do not know for certain.

As for the GPU I know it is a blower style card (RTX 2070), although it is at 80 Degrees Celsius at 100% I can understand why it gets that hot as it does not have a beefy cooling solution, and I can change the RPM of the GPU using third party software to combat this.

I tried using third party software such as Speed Fan to change the RPM of the Rear Fan to see if increasing it would solve the issue however the software does not detect PWM Fan Headers despite the fan header on the motherboard being PWM. I cannot change the RPM in the BIOS too so the fact that I cannot change the RPM of any of the fans limits my testing. I did a stress test on the CPU while having the front panel taken off and the temperatures only decreased by 1-2 Degrees. So the rear fan is not the issue here.

Before I contact support I want to know whether or not high temperatures for a Liquid Cooled Processor are intentional by HP or if there is something wrong with my particular AIO, and if so what can I do to reduce the temperatures as I experience lag spikes and at the exact same time my temperatures spike to up to 85 Degrees celsius which is quite hot. If you could solve this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Edit: My System is NOT overclocked. It is stock from when I bought the PC

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Lower CPU and GPU temps when gaming are desirable.

I don't believe your components temps are that bad considering you have a micro ATX case, a 2070, and a stock Asetek CPU liquid cooled system. Sustained 90 + CPU temps when gaming would suggest a problem.

85 degree Celsius spikes on the CPU when gaming is tolerable. 80 degree GPU temps when gaming is also tolerable.

My 2080 peaks and stabilizes at 82 degrees Celsius when gaming or stress testing.

Component temps in the mid 70 degree Celsius range when gaming would be better but uATX cases and limited chassis fan options create trade offs.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Lower CPU and GPU temps when gaming are desirable.

I don't believe your components temps are that bad considering you have a micro ATX case, a 2070, and a stock Asetek CPU liquid cooled system. Sustained 90 + CPU temps when gaming would suggest a problem.

85 degree Celsius spikes on the CPU when gaming is tolerable. 80 degree GPU temps when gaming is also tolerable.

My 2080 peaks and stabilizes at 82 degrees Celsius when gaming or stress testing.

Component temps in the mid 70 degree Celsius range when gaming would be better but uATX cases and limited chassis fan options create trade offs.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.